• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The most indispensible player in the world

Beleg

International Regular
Who do you think is the most indispensible player in the world for his respective team? A player without whom the team would suffer a serious loss of morale and overall quality, and look a shade of itself on the field.

Now, I am aware that in practice this type of player doesn't exist. :p However, I am asking you to choose a player who comes closest to fitting this stereotype?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Beleg said:
Who do you think is the most indispensible player in the world for his respective team? A player without whom the team would suffer a serious loss of morale and overall quality, and look a shade of itself on the field.

Now, I am aware that in practice this type of player doesn't exist. :p However, I am asking you to choose a player who comes closest to fitting this stereotype?
Freddie!

Steulen

International Regular
You'd need a great player in a poor side for him to be indispensable.
Hence: Lara, indeed.

Murali definitely was one too, but recently Sri Lanka look like they've figured out how to play without him.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sehwag is proving to be rather indispensible to India, ATM. I am afraid to even contemplate what the side would do without him. No, he is not more indispensible than Lara or Gilly, but still........

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I think you could choose one from every side except Australia and Bangladesh :p

India : Sehwag for ODI's and Dravid for tests
Pakistan : Inzy
Windies : Easiest..Lara
Sri Lanka : Murali
South Africa : Pollock(We will know what Pollock means to them when he retires)

New Zealand : Steve Bucknor :p

Unattainableguy

State 12th Man
SJS said:

Why Sehwag for ODI's? He averages 32, not so great for a pure batsman. Tendulkar maybe.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
SJS said:

I agree about Inzi, Lara and Pollock. But SL have learned to do fine without Murali, and for India, Sachin is still the man that probably keeps them inspired. So even though I agree that Sehwag and Dravid are very important for India, Tendulkar is still my choice.

And of course, Ganguly would be the last person to let go of. :p

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Gilchrist is the most generally indispensible (read: valuable) player in the world, and the most individually signfiicant to the welfare of his team is Lara.