• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

UK vs World / Jayasuriya

Rich2001

International Captain
It was announced earlier today that current England captain N.Hussain would lead a British side in two indoor Power One Day matches at The Millennium Stadium in Wales on October the 4 & 5. The opposition will be a Rest Of The World team, so far only parts of the teams have been announced

Hussain's side will include Glamorgan's Matthew Maynard and Robert Croft as well as recent England cap Robert Key and his Kent team-mate Mark Ealham.

The rest of the world side will feature Courtney Walsh, Wasim Akram, Muttiah Muralitharan and Shoaib Akhtar

The games are going to be Power Cricket matches which is a shorter version of the one-day game.

[Edited on 9/1/02 by Neil Pickup]

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Very Interesting..
They mentioned the BIG bowlers from the rest of the world against english batsmen in very hostile conditions.Would love to see the english try to put murali over the rope!!
Power Series ?
Hmmmm... So what do we have here? a campaign to refresh young interest in the game ??

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I believe it is. If it's 20-overs-a-side then it ties in with what we play at Club level so they will be able to relate to it more.

Plus, it will be more action-filled, and hopefully act as a carrot and drag people into the longer one-day (never thought I'd say that...) and four/five-day versions.

Rich2001

International Captain
Found out today, that it will be simalar to Cricket Max, the set up is as followed

- 30 over games

- 2 15 over innings

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
yep, max is similar

each team gets 2 innings of 10 overs and tries to score as many runs as they can with the help of the max zone.

Whether this version will have the same kind of rules as max is unknown but i hope this is not the future of cricket as its getting way too similar to baseball with all these inning changes & home-run hits.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I'm not convinced that two innings of 15 overs is a good idea as it will inevitably lead to an increase in rash shots. 30-overs-a-side would be fine, but as Tim said, it's too Baseball-ish for me. One Chance.

BengalCat

Cricket Spectator
Being an English fan, i would prefer the World xi composed of players primarily from Bangladesh and Kenya!!

That way England might upset the odds and win the match :D

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Not on today's form :P. I'd like to see the best players in the world there.

Like... Agarkar, Nehra, Zaheer.. ;)

BengalCat

Cricket Spectator
"Not on today's form . I'd like to see the best players in the world there"

Hahaha Todays form...LOL, man we are talking about onedayer game, what have the brits done in it?? getting beaten by every other team on their own back yard(India,Aus,Pak..)

The person who mentioned Khan/ajit's name should have first thought about HOGGARD, who is the worst ever onedayer bowler in the history of the game.But then why single out Hoggard, i mean the others aren't much behind, when it gets to getting hammmered England bowlers are on top, any day, any time.No wonder India happily chased 325+.

Now tell me, Shouldn't England try their luck against Bangladesh???

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Erm, on that same day that England conceded 326, India conceded 325, so don't go crowing too loudly now will you?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's like someone turned the light off and they all came scurrying out of the woodwork at once.

Anyone who genuinely thinks that either India or England (the teams, not necessarily all of the players) are anything other than second-rate is sadly deluded. Both are better than they were, but the gap between Australia and the rest is still huge.

BengalCat

Cricket Spectator
"Erm, on that same day that England conceded 326, India conceded 325"

LOL that must be an achievement for the Poms, wasnt it? i mean the result hardly matters!

The Gap b/w Aus and teams like SA and Pak is much narrow than that b/w Eng and India!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
What's that supposed to mean?

Australia are far better than Pakistan and South Africa.

England and India are very close indeed.

BengalCat

Cricket Spectator
"What's that supposed to mean?

Australia are far better than Pakistan and South Africa.

England and India are very close indeed."

Thats how u see it, dumb judgement obviously.
Aus were beaten by Pak last time, i still think that Aus are better but Far better????

India and Eng are close...LOL Eng are closer to only WI and Zimb

Lemme see, individual players comparision of the two teams!

Croft-----Murali
Hoggard----Akhter
Irani-----Akram
Hussain---Jaysuria
Ealham----Walsh.

It will be a wonderful match, England will nail the world 11 easily :D