• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 3rd Test - England v India - Keep all Discussion Here Please!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sorry, but averages around 40 suggest that the Indians seamers are pathetic.

Just because they've taken a couple of wickets, you come on here all but pronouncing them the best in the world.

Who says thhey are the bests?? i agree that they are pathetic, BUT what about the English batters???? Surely they must be worse than even the Bangladeshi batters :D

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
For goodness sake, India have not bowled great, neither have England batted particularly poorly.

The problems for England were made on the first 2 days when the bowling performance was abject.

No discredit is due to India - they have done precisely what they should have done on a track which has remained helpful to both seamers and spinners.

The fact that England decided for 12 hours to test out the middle of the pitch ranks amongst the more stupid game plans I have ever witnessed. Now I don't think for a minute that the England bowlers came up with this plan all on their own without some 'help' from the top. If they did, then it's 'lobotomies all round'.

We are talking Headingley here. You know - swing, seam, edge, slip catch, that kind of stuff.

Yeah i agree with u, my point was that ppl should stop labelling young pacers as losers just coz there ave are high.

The present tests match have proved one point that Indian bowlers can deliver!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
There is no doubt in my mind that Zaheer Khan, Ashish Nehra and Ajit Agarkar could develop into a very potent attack.

It remains to be seen how they perform when they have played 50 tests, rather than 19, 10 and 14 respectively.

A few helpful wickets back home might help, although they are primarily exponents of swing as opposed to seam.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
One bad innings from the Eng team doesnt make Indian seamers (probably a misnomer in this case) good, and it doesnt make the Eng batting bad.

First of all, the Indian pacers need to perform consistently to get respect. Secondly, the biggest reason for the Indian success is the inability of Eng bowling to make an impression on a favorable pitch, giving up in excess of 600 runs in the first innings is suicide. Eng perhaps took things for granted.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
To vandemataram et al:

And why have you suddenly re-appeared once India have one, one good match. Didn't notice much when you lost and hung in for a draw in the last two games?

Fair-Weather supporters don't command any respect. Note that we're still here even if we're in bigger trouble than Jeffrey Archer on a lie detector. What about Nehra and Agarkar getting treated like run-of-the-mill club bowlers in the first two games? Where were you then?

In case you hadn't actually watch the match, we (and LE in particular) have made it clear that England's excuse for a gameplan (for Pete's sake, I reckon the U13s down at Caistor with 10 losses in 11 could manage better). Ball... Stumps... No? Edge of Bat? Nah... Halfway down? Go on then...

Please Rain

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Well Mr. Pickup, are you getting irritated just because someone again called Agarkar and Co. the greatest or 'coz England is in the rack ?

I am an Indian fan and have been so through all kinds of weather I believe, for the last twenty years and if you read my postings on the threads about the first two tests you would find that I was consisitently of the opinion that its Indian batsman who are to blame for not making up what the team lacks in bowling strength.Agarkar, Khan et al. are all the same bowlers and they just got more runs on the board this time to try out their wares which are limited anyway, but it surely helps when you have a mountain of runs staring down on the opposition.That's the difference between the first two tests and this one from the Indian perspective.But I will give you this...a little turn in the wicket changes the whole equation in India's favour and makes Indian bowling quite potent.

But I am still not so confident that these guys can manage to bowl out England cheaply in the second innings and with some help from the skies, England might just escape.

[Edited on 8/24/02 by aussie_beater]

I never said that ajit/khan are the geatest, just that they aren't that awful as some ppl describe them.

India will win this match, in the second innings Bhajji and Kumble will get the scalp of the English batters.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think Neil is making the general point that at least if we do bad we admit we've gone wrong.

As sson as India have a good day or 2, there's a load of posters coming out of the woodwork saying how great India are. It was the same at the end of the Natwest Series. Then Agarkar scored some runs (in a distinctly losing situation) and there was praiser for him as the best thing since sliced bread.

I think he, like I, objects to this blatant fair weather supporting from the majority of the Indian fans.

Oh, and Eddie, I would have to disagree with you on the point of experience.

If they've played 15-20 Test's they should have better figures than they do have. But what do we blame for these figures? Personally I think it is the curse of one day cricket.

"As sson as India have a good day or 2, there's a load of posters coming out of the woodwork saying how great India are"

Great??? Who said that, thats like putting words into someone's mouth.At test level India are mediocres, and so is the English team!!

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Whats all this talk about ?! that is meant in a different way

It is only 1st innings so far .... England go try and draw if they wanted in the 2nd Innings its not game over , pack up your bags , India is supreme cricket nation yet ,

Why werent the bowlers and batsmen working together for india in the first 2 tests ? If they take so much time to find their rhythm then God be with them....

Just because England had one bad day doesnt mean they will continue like that , because India has more than 100 bad days ... and you know that

No one called Agarkar or Khan crap just like Neil said , they are still young and need to mature they arent McGraths or Akrams , they will take time , but doesnt mean they are going to blitzkreig their way through for another number of test matches...

The game is still interesting so far , and Anything can happen in cricket

"No one called Agarkar or Khan crap just like Neil said , they are still young and need to mature they arent McGraths or Akrams "

Oh dear, ppl having been mocking Ajit, some clowns wanted to have him banned, u missed all that.

Above all, ppl even disputed that Khan/Nehra are talented bowlers.

Please Note: No one is comparing them with Akram and Mcgrath(atleast not me) .

As for India being a supreme team, how could they?? i mean even if they beat Eng 2-1, they can't be considered as the best coz they would only have beaten a team like England!!

[Edited on 8/24/02 by vandemataram]

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
I think he, like I, objects to this blatant fair weather supporting from the majority of the Indian fans.
what do you mean "fair weather supporting" ?

Indian fans stick with their team through thick and thin but they surely give them the rap when the chips are down, which is a good thing.It doesn't mean that these fans desert their team when they are not performing well....the thing is that they are overjoyed by the teams' successes, which is great. Indian fans are the most passionate fans of their team in the whole cricketing world.That's one thing that simply cannot be contested by anybody.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
At test level India are mediocres, and so is the English team!!
If we consider the last 4-5 years, which is a reasonable time as in this period teams generally play each other once away and once at home, Englnd have easily been the third best test side in the world, after Aus and SA. I can give numbers if someone insists. One bad day, or one test doesnt change that. And for this fletcher and Hussain are responsible in a significant way, along with all the team.

Anoop

U19 12th Man
Come on guys.. Discuss the match and stop bragging about your teams.

England were the better side (by a huge margin) in the first two tests. India played well the first day and dominated the second and third days, of this test match. Both are well balanced sides. Currently India is in a strong position, but England has every chance to draw the match.

And about the india-win-i'll-post guys, don't be too harsh on them. If you don't agree with what they post, then just ignore them. Poking and taunting them, explaining thier mistakes, have not worked so far.. so just ignore them, if you can't get along with them.

[Hope that I haven't earned any enemies]
:)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
what do you mean "fair weather supporting" ?

Indian fans stick with their team through thick and thin but they surely give them the rap when the chips are down, which is a good thing.
I mean that when India perform badly, there is only 1 poster on here regularly, Anoop, who is honest and accepts their deficiencies.

As soon as they do well, there's loads of you on here.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Just to emphasize things more, just take a look at thread we guyz did for test #1 and then at this one. There is a huge disparity in the way of expressing emotion. A proper brawl took place here !!
Should clear up a lot of things i presume ?

the thing is that they are overjoyed by the teams' successes, which is great. Indian fans are the most passionate fans of their team in the whole cricketing world.That's one thing that simply cannot be contested by anybody.
That does not give them the right to belittle others, i donot agree to claims that indians are the most passionate abt their team, all of us here are as passionate abt our respetive national teams, the only difference being the rationalism that we eventually mirror.

A word to the indian fans (whom i equally respect) Stop those impulses that tell you to think in absolutists term. Everything you see around you (including our cricketing heroes) is relative to something else and thats the way it will always be. If you keep on ranting about how great everything indian is, u are bouund to be the laughing stock. That for one is not very pleasing to any of us.

[Edited on 8/25/02 by Gotchya]