Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Missed no-ball robs Warne

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    i thought it was pretty funny how someone dug that up after all this time
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    ABM Ceremony - minor sensations are a must.
    A bit of a funny thing, though, yes.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat
    The inherent impossibility in expecting a human eye to determine within a margin of a few millimetres what is a front-foot no-ball and what isn't (and then of course to flick the eyes up to see LBW's, catches, etc.). Bring on Hawk-Eye for cricket or revert to a back-foot rule or something. The likely high percentage of missed no-balls means this sort of stuff is common-place and either should be eradicated completely or just accepted as a 'win some, lose some' thing.
    And the former is surely the irrepressably better idea.
    When it's finally introduced I bet we'll be asking ourselves how the hell it took so obscenely long to get it done - how many missed no-balls could have been called for every run-out or stumping spotted? No-balls should have been the first thing technology sorted-out.
    It's as belief-defying as the length of time it took such an obvious change as the ruling on the run-scoring with regard no-balls\wides.
    How it took 222 years or whatever it was for that to come into place is indicative of that wonderful slow-progressor that is cricket.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    I like Warney as a batsman.. I would be pretty stoked if it was me.. I know loads of No - Balls go un-noticed, but why should that make it alright?
    Every no-ball missed is an injustice - Warne got Trescothick with a no-ball when he played that stupid premeditated dab at Trent Bridge in 2001... he'll have got plenty of mentions, of course.
    Not to mention, of course, the total absurdity that is Vettori and Warne bowling no-balls off 4 or 5 paces.
    All the more reason to cut-out both things as soon as possible.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

International 12th Man Crazy Sam's Avatar
    no balls called electronically may also allow umpires to concentrate more on the point where the ball is around the pad/bat and therefore make better decisions on lbw and catches.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.
    Andrew Symonds 143*

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    ABM Ceremony - minor sensations are a must.
    A bit of a funny thing, though, yes.
    Watching it I was under the impression that it was brought up as a bit of a joke.....certainly nothing to get too worked up about anyway.

State Vice-Captain BlackCap_Fan's Avatar
    HA - HA!

Fred Tetanus likes this.
    Batsman for Cricketweb Blue
    Stats:
    --------M-----I----N.O---Runs---Average---50's--100's--HS
    OD: -62---56----15-----1342----32.73-----10------0-------99 (seriously)
    FC: --40---77-----8------2067----29.96-----12------2-----120

RIP Fardin 1990-2006

I wonder why it took so long to be found. They manage to pick missed no-balls when the occasion is of a lesser scale, but missed this one. Oh well.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco
    Watching it I was under the impression that it was brought up as a bit of a joke.....certainly nothing to get too worked up about anyway.
    I said at the time, that they had played with the footage.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    It is time to bring on technology to call front foot no balls, cus crap umpires like D.Hair need all the help they can get. Not surprising that he was the umpire that missed the no-ball, i'm sure he missed allot more things in his umpiring career. U probably find that he missed something when Lara got his to World Records. Worst umpire who has ever umpired a Test in my opinion.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

I dont think technology should be used for that, allow for some natural errors that could occur, people have grown up adhering to the umpires ruling. In that instance, the umpire called it as he saw it.

I think technology should be used to adjudicate on catches, stumpings, runouts, etc, but not on no balls.

IMO Darrell Hair is not a good umpire.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    I dont think technology should be used for that, allow for some natural errors that could occur, people have grown up adhering to the umpires ruling. In that instance, the umpire called it as he saw it.

I think technology should be used to adjudicate on catches, stumpings, runouts, etc, but not on no balls.

IMO Darrell Hair is not a good umpire.
    Yeah but if you're doing the technology thing for all bar one aspect of the game, you're not allowing for 'natural errors' at all but are, statistically speaking, introducing bias. What's the point of that?

Nope, technology all the way or not at all. This half-arsed acceptance of technology is HURTING the game because, as I said, bias is logically introduced if some phenomena are judged perfectly whereas others are left to 'human error'. All I hear when technological solutions are proposed are anachronistic and sentimental arguments. There's NO good reason why technology shouldn't be introduced in every facet of the game where it will be accurate and consistent and more accurate than human umpires.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 01-02-2005 at 03:55 AM.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Oh come on, it was clearly meant to be funny, nobody was calling for the umpire's head or anything. If they were whinging about it, granted it's a bit uncalled for, but showing the footage and having a laugh about it seemed fairly harmless to me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Oh come on, it was clearly meant to be funny, nobody was calling for the umpire's head or anything. If they were whinging about it, granted it's a bit uncalled for, but showing the footage and having a laugh about it seemed fairly harmless to me.
    Dont worry about it, some people take themselves far to serious and dont know how to have a laugh. Normal people saw the joke and had a laugh.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scallywag
    Dont worry about it, some people take themselves far to serious and dont know how to have a laugh. Normal people saw the joke and had a laugh.
    It was one of the funniest thing that i have seen in a while. Warne face was priceless. But it just shows another example of way technology needs to be used for front foot no balls. Especially when they continue to give crap umpires like Darrell Hair Test matches
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information