• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand v Australia

Fiery

Banned
age_master said:
nah i gotta tip Australia - McGrath and Lee with the ball

Gilly, clarke, hopes, symonds, ponting and hussey with the bat - ponting said hayden would likley be given a chance too
Hopes and Hussey aren't really names that strike fear into our hearts. Gilly however is a different story. I think we've got better sloggers overall with McMillan, Cairns, Styris, Astle, Wilson and Mills, and I guess we can even include Flem now after his fireworks against the World XI. They can all hit the ball miles so I'm picking us with my heart and my head.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fiery said:
Hopes and Hussey aren't really names that strike fear into our hearts. Gilly however is a different story. I think we've got better sloggers overall with McMillan, Cairns, Styris, Astle, Wilson and Mills, and I guess we can even include Flem now after his fireworks against the World XI. They can all hit the ball miles so I'm picking us with my heart and my head.
Begs the question if any others current oneday team has as many batsmen likely to clear the ropes as NZ?

Add Adams, Oram, and even vettori and sinclair (to an extent) from the squad to your names above...all more than capable of clearing the ropes

Fiery

Banned
zinzan12 said:
Begs the question if any others current oneday team has as many batsmen likely to clear the ropes as NZ?

Add Adams, Oram, and even vettori and sinclair (to an extent) from the squad to your names above...all more than capable of clearing the ropes
Being a Zinny fan I presume you are an Aucklander. You going to the game tomorrow?

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Fiery said:
Why do your smileys never work, MoxPearl?
Capital P is bad. :p :P

Just watched a replay of Aus v NZ 3rd ODI in 2000, strange game for two reasons:
- DR Martyn 8-0-34-2
- Brett Lee bowled a bouncer which hit Adam Parore in the head; helmet came off and landed on the stumps. :)

anzac

International Debutant
I don't know anything about Hamilton, but if he can bowl anything decent in his 2nd & subsequent spells then he is probably 1 up on the likes of Franklin & Mills who seem to be effective only in their 1st spell with a newish ball - and if he has relyable pace & swing over 135 kph then could he be a replacement for O'Connor???????

to hell with the age thing - RSA just made a Test debut for a bowler of the same age didn't they?????

Ming

State 12th Man
Fiery said:
I actually thought he looked out of touch in that game. It's a bit desperate to resort back to Lou Wincent. Maybe if everyone is injured he might be able to play the odd one-dayer here and there but not a test class player, a one-test-wonder.
How can you be a one test wonder when he played 15 Tests, and scored 2 100s and 6 50s?

Vincent should never have been a Test opener, he has played most of his cricket in the middle order. He is still in prime contention for the 6 spot in Tests. Vincent's played very well in the SC as bryce said as well.

Yeah anzac, it was that Langeveldt fella wasn't it? Quite handy swinger of the ball.....

Smith and Crowe were certainly pushing for Hamilton's inclusion, saying that he had a better second spell than the likes of Franklin, and is also a notch quicker as well.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Fiery said:

Hopes has been in fantastic form this year averaging 32 with the bat, cant find his SR but it would be good, he can certainly hit the ball.

As for Hussey hes not a slogger but he has played some twenty20 before and done very well (average was like 45 or something).

the other difference is that Aussie fireworks have a much easier chance at firing the NZ medium pacers than McGrath, Lee, Gillespie etc.

Fiery

Banned
Ming said:
How can you be a one test wonder when he played 15 Tests, and scored 2 100s and 6 50s?

Vincent should never have been a Test opener, he has played most of his cricket in the middle order. He is still in prime contention for the 6 spot in Tests. Vincent's played very well in the SC as bryce said as well.

Yeah anzac, it was that Langeveldt fella wasn't it? Quite handy swinger of the ball.....

Smith and Crowe were certainly pushing for Hamilton's inclusion, saying that he had a better second spell than the likes of Franklin, and is also a notch quicker as well.
You've got to remember that both of Lou Wincent's tons were scored on absolute belter wickets and on both occasions 4 batsman scored tons in the innings. He has shown enough times that he's prone to poor shot selection and has technical deficiencies. Apparently has a terrible attitude problem as well (according to Tamara). To average under 30 after 15 tests as a top 6 batter is not good enough these days.
I have no real problem with picking guys in their 30s if they are definitely the best option but I think Franklin is a better cricketer than Hamilton.

Last edited:

cbuts

International Debutant
i hope we never go back to vincent.

my test lineup would be
1.How
2.Papps
3.Sinclair
4.Flemming
5.Astle
6.McMillian/Styris
7.Oram
8.McCullum
9.Vetorri
10.Hamilton
11.Tuffey

Fiery

Banned
How wont be thrown in the deep end in against Aussie. Maybe against Sri Lanka. If not, will surely go on tour to Zimbabwe

Eclipse

International Debutant
Fiery said:

I think our batsman can hit the ball as well as yours..

Even if that's not the case we have more genuine batsman which in the end is going to be more importaint..And dont forget Symonds made what a 36 ball 100 in 20-20 in england and a 97 off 39..

Plus I would think Ponting is a better hitter than all those players when on song, apart from Cairns. Not that's he a noted sloger but give him half a chance and put him in a situation where he has to slog and he's deadly.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Adamc said:
- Brett Lee bowled a bouncer which hit Adam Parore in the head; helmet came off and landed on the stumps. :)
I remember that...boooooooooooooo! Wasn't impressed I must say.

cbuts

International Debutant
meatspx said:
Oram won't be bowling, so you need another bowler. Vetorri can bat at 8, and we don't need McMillan!
last i heard they were still hopeful bout oram with the ball, but if so move him up to 6 instead of mcmillian or styris and bring in aldridge. mcmillian has had a very good domestic season. much better than most of our batsman.

id give how and papps the rest of the summer to open together - against aus and sl.

cbuts

International Debutant
and remeber he had jumped up aswell - how can a ball hit a helmet and not be a noball (at the time when u couldnt bowl a bouncer)?????

Ming

State 12th Man
Fiery said:
I have no real problem with picking guys in their 30s if they are definitely the best option but I think Franklin is a better cricketer than Hamilton.
"cricketer"

We are not trying to select bits and pieces players in the Test team, we want bowlers. Are you trying to say that Franklin has been in better bowling form than Hamilton this season?

Eclipse

International Debutant
cbuts said:
and remeber he had jumped up aswell - how can a ball hit a helmet and not be a noball (at the time when u couldnt bowl a bouncer)?????
OMG

Stop your whinging...That happend like what 4 years ago ? I doubt it would have changed the course of the game anyway..

Scallywag

Banned
Eclipse said:
Plus I would think Ponting is a better hitter than all those players when on song, apart from Cairns. Not that's he a noted sloger but give him half a chance and put him in a situation where he has to slog and he's deadly.
Cairns has a poor record against Australia and it will be interesting to see how he goes.

Cairns v Australia

Matches34 Batting ave 24, bowling ave 35 HS 67

Cairns V Australiain in NZ

13matches batting ave 24 bowling ave 30 HS 67

Good player but will need to improve on history to provide hope for NZ.