• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stephen Fleming

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
If Afridi get's it right then he is far and away the best.

But for the other 98% of his innings...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Fleming in the 90s was a major disappointment as a batter. But since the turn of the millenium, he has been doing pretty well. Still not the best player of Murali. Lara and Sachin come above him.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Lara: 1125 runs against SL at 86.53 in 8 matches.
Fleming: 946 runs against SL at 72.26 in 9 matches.
Lara: 706 runs against SL in SL at 100.85 in 4 matches.
Fleming: 104.71 runs against SL at 104.71 in 5 matches.
Lara: 419 runs against SL in WI at 69.83 in 4 matches.
Fleming: 213 runs against SL in NZ at 35.50 in 4 matches.

The only years they both played against SL...
Lara: 120 runs against SL at 30.00 in 2 matches.
Fleming: 112 runs against SL at 37.33 in 2 matches.
Lara: 299 runs against SL at 149.50 (including a double hundred) in 2 matches.
Fleming: 376 runs against SL at 188.00 (including a double hundred) in 2 matches.

Both improved their game dramatically during the tests they played as captain.
Both have drawn 3 matches and lost 3 matches to SL. Fleming has won 3, Lara has won 2.
In matches won, Fleming averages 91.00 and Lara averages 31.33
In matches drawn, Fleming averages 147.33 and Lara averages 85.75
In matches lost, Fleming averages 23.33 and Lara averages 114.66

Interestingly, in first tests played in a series, Fleming averages 170.25 in 4 tests - Lara 74.83. Both drop their game for the second test, Fleming with 26.28 and Lara (still strong) at 65.00, and regather for the third test (when played) with Fleming on 40.50 and Lara 175.50

Murali has taken the wicket of Fleming three times in nine tests. He's taken the wicket of Lara five times in eight tests.

There's no way I'm going to try to find out the ODI information, someone else can do that. :p Maybe I'll look into it later. It's notable though that Fleming averages 21.53 (27 matches, 560 runs, HS 77*) against SL while Lara manages 52.71 (23 matches, 1107 runs, HS 169). Lara dominates Fleming notably when it comes to playing SL in general. Doesn't change much when you take it from 01/01/2000 either - Lara at 56.80 and Fleming at 24.33.

From this information alone, I'd say Fleming has a very fine edge over Lara when it comes to playing Murali in tests, while Lara is a far, far better batsman in ODI's. Overall? Lara. The test choice is debatable but the fact that Lara is so much better in ODI's shows that Lara is, on a whole, a far more capable batsman against both Murali and Sri Lanaka.

I'm such a factual person. :(

Beleg

International Regular
Inzy - Matches Runs Highest Average 100's 50's

18 1465 200* 63.69 5 7

From a sample as big as 18 matches [all played in the sub-continent], not bad at all!

Ofcourse it doesn't prove anything but stillllllllllll......

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
For mine Inzamam-Ul-Haq, Andy Flower and Brian Lara are equally adept at playing Murali.
Fleming, if he can do a bit more of the RPS stuff, can be added to the list. But this meaningless charity game means sod-all.