• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tri Nation Series : Pakistan--South Africa--Sri Lanka

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Well this is certainly an interesting proposition, from here we may say that Sri Lanka seem to be the weaker team, but
we have Pakistan in there the most consistenty inconsistent, and the South Africans who just cant seem to handle Pressure situations very well and loose their hold at just crucial moments.

So who will it be?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm going to stick my neck out and say Sri Lanka (just to wind a few of our contributors up).

No reason - on current form they are pretty hopeless, but they don't suddenly become bad players overnight.

anzac

International Debutant
now you're getting the hang of it !!!!

i'll go for Pakistan
a. because they are so bloody frustrating
b. because they need it to maintain some credibility with all that has been going on with them of late...

:)

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Man...do i want to see pakistan put some things right!!

South africa have had a jinx over pakistan for quite some time now, although we had our moments but they have been dominating us more or less. I cant get to terms with this at all, Pakistan seem to be a better outfit then sa in most aspects, certainly the most important ones! they have the edge on us with their fielding, but surely that cant account for the numerous losses.

What do you guys say to that ?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I say the most important aspect isn't batting, bowling, fielding or captaincy - it's just 'winning'.

For every game that Pakistan have won against South Africa, they have lost two.

Why that should be I haven't a clue because they do look very well matched in all departments.

Isn't cricket a beautiful, unpredictable game? (Probably why there are so many bookies trying to get the 'edge'?) :D

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
It all depends what the pitches are like in Morocco. I can't see them suiting pace too much, more spin. Murali will be lethal I would think, and Saqlain will cause problems too. Same final as in Sharjah... and Pakistan to win, again, SL suffering from the fact that they have been playing nonstop for ages.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I reckon he means that it doesn't matter how you win, it just matters that you've got more runs than the others come the end of the 100th over.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
1st match:
South Africa: 220/3 in 39 overs

Run rate: 5.64

Batsmen: H Gibbs - 85 J Rhodes - 38

Pakistan look in trouble here, i guess they'll have to bat out of their skins to save this one

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think before the series the media were saying to Waqar that Pakistan were a one man team with Shoaib, and in some cases it could be true.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
I think before the series the media were saying to Waqar that Pakistan were a one man team with Shoaib, and in some cases it could be true.
To start with this is a really silly notion. Some cases are some and cannot be used to draw a whole picture. Yes, shoaib has the ability to turn situations around, but on countless occassions he has performed badly, still with pakistan emerging as the winners.
His performances stand out in the recent series, but would you leave out your 'team' just to relax fatigue?

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Well just as if to prove what i said earlier, pakistan lose the first one dayer,
Everyone got a start, everyone was shaping well, but nobody wanted to take it to the end. After the start pakistan had, it was dissapointing to see them lose. Full marks to SA for a very professional performance (although their batsmen looked rusty at the start, they still managed to build good partnerships).

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
From the five innings already played in the tournament, it wont be difficult to say
that the pitch is hopelessly in favour of the batsmen. There is no life in the pitch at all. With the sun baking the pitch the bowlers have no chance whatsoever to make any sort of impact other then use some variations in pace as the only counter.

I Dont like it !!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
It should come towards the spinners more as it breaks up and the tournament progresses - Murali v Saqlain in the final?

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Sri Lanka wallop SA....with Jayasuriya getting three wickets but Murali one.Looks like spin's the trick, but Murali may not have still joined the party.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I guess the Proteas treated Murali (8 overs for 18) with more respect than Jayasuriya (5 overs for 25), hence Jayasuriya getting 3 more wickets (has anyone noticed how he bowls himself mainly at slogging tailenders and thus picks up a couple of cheap wickets?

As a side note, has anyone else looked at the new cricinfo coverage - little videos of the key moments are available!

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
SA pip out Pak for the final....portent of things to come ?

Pak looked definitely out of sorts in this tourney...without Shoaib I think they are gonna struggle a bit.