Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sloggin' Batsman = Good Batsman ?

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anil
    what is the definition of a slog?
    slog ( P ) Pronunciation Key (slg)
    v. slogged, slog·ging, slogs
    v. intr.
    To walk or progress with a slow heavy pace; plod: slog across the swamp; slogged through both volumes.
    To work diligently for long hours: slogged away at Latin.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Zinzan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster10
    Given the popularity and the amount of One Day cricket played has led to the rise of batsmen who are known to have 'a one day mind set'. We know these batsmen know generally and actually do better when they play best what most commentators also refer to - is their 'natural game'.

For instance batsmen like Cairns, Gayle, Sehwag, Gilchrist (to cite a few), play generally in the same fashion whether batting in One Day or Test.

No matter, how thrilling it might be to watch these players hit (and sad to watch when they often hit and miss), I don't particularly rate them as great batsman (and again this could be just my opinion).

Obviously, then there are other batsmen in contrast like Tendulkar, Lara, Dravid, Kallis (to cite a few) who I simply adore watching everytime they bat.

Which league of these batsmen in your opinion is better than the other?

Something that Gilchrist can be described as is "the most dangerous batsmen in test cricket".

If that is what you define a "slogger" as, then being a "slogger" is a pretty damn good thing !

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBloody Idiot
    v. intr.

Prominent sloggers at cricket.

Hanif Mohammad
    Geoffrey Boycott
    Ken Mackay
    Trevor Bailey

Gilchrist is a new breed of batsmen who take their chances at any given time. There have been many sloggers before him aswell but not as consistent, but Gilchrist has time and time proved again that he may play like a slogger, but hes damn good at it. What looks a lucky shot for tech savvy batsmen, is just a normal shot for him. I think Shewag is another batsmen who will be as good at Gilchrist with some time. If they continue to get away with their lucky shots all the time, then its not luck, its just that they are very good at how they play.
    OH HE HATE ME

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anil
    what is the definition of a slog?
    Cow Corner?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    slogging batsman = Shahid Afridi = very poor batsman (in tests anyway)

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    essentially you if you can slog whilst retaining control and responsibility and play well i suppose you would be a good batsman, although the best batsman are the ones that do not have to slog.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger
    essentially you if you can slog whilst retaining control and responsibility and play well i suppose you would be a good batsman, although the best batsman are the ones that do not have to slog.

WAT...........i have seen sachin slog.......lara slog........and remember steve waugh with his slog sweep???..........slogging is a very effective run gettin technique which all the great batsmen have used in some point of time..........
    "better to be a witty fool than be a foolish wit"

Quote Originally Posted by SirBloody Idiot
    v. intr.
    To walk or progress with a slow heavy pace; plod: slog across the swamp; slogged through both volumes.

thanks man, that was enlightening....

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger
    slogging batsman = Shahid Afridi = very poor batsman (in tests anyway)
    And Afridi has been outstanding in ODIs recently, hasn't he?
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCap_Fan
    222 off 168
    Which involved little in the way of slogs and mostly improvised authentic strokes.

Cricket Spectator
    It's good to see that this topic has brought about some discussion.

The point, was not if slogging is an effective technique of batting; we know it is more than likely to fetch one runs, albeit at risk, and thus implied more often in the shorter version of the game, ie. one day cricket. Test Cricket happens to be another ball game however. Good batsman are expected to play for time, defend, score when needed (with minimum risks), and of course once in a while every good batsman also slogs (depending upon conditions, for instance, when batting with tailenders etc.).

The point, is also not to categorize slogging ie. 1) good slogging (gilchrist, gayle, sehwag, cairns etc.) and 2) bad slogging (afridi, tailenders - some of them are pretty good on their day too).

The topic is - if batsman who ALWAYS have a mind set of slogging (and actually thats the best they know, or can do) are good batsman (or complete batsman, to be more clear) or not? And that is where I tend to differ. To me a good batsman is an all round batsman. I have seen many a times, Gilchrist and likewise (good or bad sloggers all alike), cannot often play any different then they can. And when they want to, you wish they never did (since they often look poor doing that) and that's when commentators emphasize that they should play their - 'natural game'. This stat is prominent enough by simply looking at their strike rates in both versions of the game.

That to me is a weakness. And the reason for me to NOT put them in the same class as Tendulkar, Lara, Dravid, Kallis etc. (which apparenly are far better batsman, since they can switch their mode of strokeplay with ease).
    Last edited by masterblaster10; 12-01-2005 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bestfriendh
    WAT...........i have seen sachin slog.......lara slog........and remember steve waugh with his slog sweep???..........slogging is a very effective run gettin technique which all the great batsmen have used in some point of time..........
    yes ok, that granted under normal circumstances there would be no reason for these players to slog.

U19 Debutant
    if a slogger wins matches does t matter if he slogs?
    Best batsman = Rahul Dravid
    Best bowler = Muttiah Muralitharan

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Which involved little in the way of slogs and mostly improvised authentic strokes.
    As we've seen on here though, one man's 'improvised authentic stroke' is another man's slog.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information