• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ ODI All Time XI

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
L Cairns although a clean striker of the ball would be nothing better than say Scott Styris in terms of all round abitliy. He has nothing on his Son

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
im guessing we are talking about players in there peak ??

Cause on current form.. astle would not be anywhere near that list :P

still that would be a amazing team to watch...

Larsen was such a great bowler.. so simple yet so effective

bryce

International Regular
i have no idea why so many people have been so critical of astle's form, especially in one-dayers - it seems that no one can even remember his 70 in the first match of the Chappell-Hadlee Trophy(only two ODI's have been played since!), without his knock NZ would have not had a chance of winning IMO, they way i see it the elder players are much more likely candidtaes to attract criticism than the younger ones

anzac

International Debutant
my criticism of him is re the longer game not ODIs - although that knock in the Chappell-Hadlee series IMO has been his only decent knock in ODIs since coming back from injury, as a 'cricket score' v USA in the ICC Trophy does not count much unless continued against 'proper' opposition........

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
vic_orthdox said:
i dont know his statistics, but lance cairns could hit one-handed sixes, and taht has my respect.
You're right.

Although his average is a mere 16.72, he has a strike rate of 104 - over 65 innings! He's got 2 50's too, and, coupled with a bowling average of 30, I reckon he could be a nifty ODI player.

But I think I would put his son in front of him.

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
MoxPearl said:
im guessing we are talking about players in there peak ??

Cause on current form.. astle would not be anywhere near that list :P

still that would be a amazing team to watch...

Larsen was such a great bowler.. so simple yet so effective
You can't overlook a player of Astle's quality. He has scored more centuries than any NZer in ODI form. And like Bryce i feel that his poor form in ODI's has been over exagerated. His scores in the champions trophey were not that bad. 13,15,19,53 and 57 in the final. Then he made that hundred against USA (145*) and 18 agianst Aussie. In bangladesh he made starts in all three games which were much better than most of the other batsmen who struggled to adapt to the pitches. He made 27,29 and another 27. Following on from that in the chappel/Haddle series he made that valuable 70 and then 11 in the following game. In the only game against Sri Lanka he made 6.
So since coming back from injury his average has been 40.83 in ODI's which proves he hasn't actually been doing that badly

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
anzac said:
my criticism of him is re the longer game not ODIs - although that knock in the Chappell-Hadlee series IMO has been his only decent knock in ODIs since coming back from injury, as a 'cricket score' v USA in the ICC Trophy does not count much unless continued against 'proper' opposition........
Back to Back 50's in the Natwest series including one in the final?

bryce

International Regular
yeah spot on rich, in NZ people seem to have an 'out with the old and in with the new philospophy', mind you most countries bar aussie do this but i think we try best to steer clear of it, i've always been a fan of picking players who have been putting the numbers on the board as opposed to players with supposed potential, astle is fine - notice his state shield form aswell

anzac

International Debutant
Richard Rash said:
Back to Back 50's in the Natwest series including one in the final?
point taken - he even started the Tour with some good scores in the longer game from memory..............

but back to my original point which was that I DON'T have a problem with him in the ODIs - just the Tests atm.........(even if I didn't pick him in my all time ODI side).............

anzac

International Debutant
bryce said:
yeah spot on rich, in NZ people seem to have an 'out with the old and in with the new philospophy', mind you most countries bar aussie do this but i think we try best to steer clear of it, i've always been a fan of picking players who have been putting the numbers on the board as opposed to players with supposed potential, astle is fine - notice his state shield form aswell
he may be doing so in the ODIs since his return, but has yet to do so in Tests..........

IMO if you are going to have a 5-5 as your test team selection policy then you MUST have batsmen who are making runs - if this then means you need to make squad changes then so be it - either that or change to a 6-4 split to lengthen your batting to compensate for the batsmen you are "carrying".....

I'm afraid my philosophy would appear to be contrary to many others', in that my 1st priority would be to be able to post decent totals to give the bowlers something to work with.

IMO now matter how many bowlers you pick you are not going to win matches or series if none of them are genuine class & work as a unit, and moreso if you are unable to post decent totals consistantly..............

atm IMO this NZL batting lineup has probably the worst record for 2nd innings collapses this decade bar none...........

Kent

State 12th Man
bryce said:
yeah spot on rich, in NZ people seem to have an 'out with the old and in with the new philospophy', mind you most countries bar aussie do this but i think we try best to steer clear of it, i've always been a fan of picking players who have been putting the numbers on the board as opposed to players with supposed potential
But hang on - Astle was the complete opposite, wasn't he? He came into the NZ side as a 23 y.o. with 2 FC centuries, and scored two tons in the West Indies not that long afterwards.

IMO, NZ has to stop discovering their international players by accident. I want selectors who can pick with their eyes rather than just stats, and aren't afraid to back their judgement rather than claim 'finds' simply because the incumbents were unavailable (an injury crisis, terrorism fears, etc.).

Styris, despite his flaws, has scored more test 100s since his debut than any other NZ batsman. Marshall, with a List A average in the low 20's, entered our OD team and has maintained a career ave. higher than any current BCs. If experience is such an advantage, why were they able to do this?

You'd have to say the fact that most international cricket is played on generally flatter, faster tracks is a large part of the reason. Also, they weren't jaded by years on the road or smug about their place in the side, so every run scored was a big deal to them.

Last edited: