• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sightscreens???

godonnygo

Cricket Spectator
This might just be the dumbest question EVER asked, but what is a sightscreen? What is the purpose of a sightscrreen? and why do the players move their hands to adjust the sightscreen?

I'm being serious, BTW. After today's f**kup at the MCG.

cric_manic

First Class Debutant
black sight screens are used in odi so the batter can see the white ball
white screens in tests because of the red ball

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
godonnygo said:
This might just be the dumbest question EVER asked, but what is a sightscreen? What is the purpose of a sightscrreen? and why do the players move their hands to adjust the sightscreen?

I'm being serious, BTW. After today's f**kup at the MCG.
The word SIGHT in the sight screen says it all. They are supposed to help the batsman sight the ball better.

The batsman signals with his hands either to move the sight screen one way or the other or to ask someone standing in front of it or right above it (and in the players line of vision) to move away.

Currently, due to commercial considerations sight screens are being used to advertise products. Clearly every over the advertisements shift from one sight screen to the other. This has resulted in more sophisticated sight screens (the A$600,00 worth current one being the latest). Not surprisingly, technology has led to its own problems, like a non-functioning remote controller in this case :p

Josh

International Regular
The screens at the MCG are too small, aswell. Can't get through a match at the 'G without sightscreen troubles. It's almost tradition...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
SJS said:
Not surprisingly, technology has led to its own problems, like a non-functioning remote controller in this case :p
I remember at Old Trafford last summer we had about 5 stoppages in one session because of the sightscreen!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
All sightscreens are palpably substandard these days, there are far too many bowlers who can get their eyes above them.
Why people can't be bothered to build the things properly I don't have the slightest clue.