• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Man 'o' the Moment

Tom Halsey

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Another case of looking at the average and not it's components - I believe that in his last 28 innings (or something like that) he's failed to pass 20 in about 16 of them - care to tell us how that isn't a sketchy run then Tom?
That merely shows that he goes on with his startes then, unlike alot of other players.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
masterblaster said:
Plus you cannot take away all his moments of sheer genius and his glory days. I dont think people have that much of short term memory.
I know you can't, but I'm wondering how long people would keep defending in if he continued in his current vein of rarely getting a start?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
marc71178 said:
I know you can't, but I'm wondering how long people would keep defending in if he continued in his current vein of rarely getting a start?
I think people will acknowledge that his game has changed and he's been injured to hell, yet when he gets a start, one can be confident that he will not only get a ton, but its very likely he'll go on to a double ton.

He's not as good as he used to be, but he's still a very valuable player.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd hesitate to say he's not as good as he used to be.
Few are past their best at 31\32.
Certainly if he goes on like he has been recently for too much longer we might start to guess that he's not as good as he used to be, but as of yet I'd still say it's more likely down to playing constantly in pain.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well yeah, that's what I was getting at. His injuries, and the obvious chance in his role in the Indian team has affected his game, and yet when he gets the start, he still manages to score.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
marc71178 said:
I'd take not getting a start very often in his case, because of his sheer genius, and when he does get a start he goes on for ages - hence the average of 87 this year.

tooextracool

International Coach
Tom Halsey said:
That merely shows that he goes on with his startes then, unlike alot of other players.
yes he is, on the flattest of wickets or against the worst of bowlers. the only worthwhile innings hes played in the last 2 years was the 50 against australia.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Of course, not at all skewed by innings against Bangladesh...
skewed by 3 innings actually....241* vs australia, 194* vs pakistan & 248* vs bangladesh....

PAKMAN

State 12th Man
great player
dont think there is any cricket player or fan that doesnt admire sachin's cricket
congratulations

NikhilN

International Regular
Sudeep said:
He's God even if cricket isn't a religion.

On this occasion, I'd like to post a quote, once made by Raj Singh Dungarpur.
Thats a really nice quote

Sehwag309

Banned
BTW

Has any other batsman ever made 3 double centuries in 1 year? (Considering 194* a double)

Last edited:

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
Sehwag309 said:
BTW

Has any other batsman ever made 3 doubles in 1 year? (Considering 194* a double)
Yeah I did once, (Considering my 20*, 4* and 43* were doubles)

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Well, he's taking the ****, because you can't count a score that isn't a double a double to help your argument - that's a bit like Richard occasionally.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
tooextracool said:
yes he is, on the flattest of wickets or against the worst of bowlers. the only worthwhile innings hes played in the last 2 years was the 50 against australia.
Australia (admittedly without McGrath and Warne, but still) and Pakistan are clearly as bad as Bangladesh aren't they?! 8-)

masterblaster

International Captain
I dont find Akhtar, Shabbir/Gul (depends who was playing that game, I can't remember to be honest) Sami and Kaneria all that bad to be honest. Sami maybe, but the rest are pretty good!

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think he is more concerned about staying not out these days. It was fairly evident that he was trying to score quickly at the start of day 3 to get to his 200 but after that, he basically cut off trying to score through shots hit in the air. There is nothing wrong with him trying to stay not out as those few runs would not have made too much of a difference, but this is not what the Sachin of 1998/99 used to do. Gavaskar mentioned that players get more concerned about their records and stuff as they grow older.