• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would you tour bangladesh after this?

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, I seem to remember that before the WC match that never was, be interesting to see how the situation pans out.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I thought that this threat had already been proven to be a hoax (at least that's what Ceefax said this morning)

viktor

State Vice-Captain
^ In either case, they should tour. And they will tour...there is a lot of money involved

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I also think they should tour but I have always been troubled by a thought and wish to share it here.

Suppose. God forbid, a terrorist does strike and manages to kill one or several cricketers on a tour to one of these countries. What would we do ?

All of us who support the ignoring of these threats.
The cricket boards and the governments who overlook the threats.
The ICC that threatens boards with counter measures if they do not travel.
The host country which pleads discrimination on totally groundless basis.

What would we do ??

Camel56

Banned
Look, to be honest, as long as the bangles could still fire up a decent curry i would be more than happy to tour.

Slow Love™

International Captain
If the threat was credible and was specific to the team or individuals within the team, no, I would not tour. And I think that coercing members of a team to tour on a contractual basis under those kinds of circumstances is a recipe for blood on your hands. IMO.

Harkat-ul-Zihad is a known group, who have killed before. It's hard to see how anyone with a family could possibly take that kind of risk.

NikhilN

International Regular
Slow Love™ said:
If the threat was credible and was specific to the team or individuals within the team, no, I would not tour. And I think that coercing members of a team to tour on a contractual basis under those kinds of circumstances is a recipe for blood on your hands. IMO.

Harkat-ul-Zihad is a known group, who have killed before. It's hard to see how anyone with a family could possibly take that kind of risk.
Exactly, these guys have ways to get into the stadium. I know a bunch of ways too how to get in no matter how tight the security is...You really cant trust security in this...surely not the bangladeshi security

masterblaster

International Captain
From a player/family point of view a tour to Bangladesh isn't too big anyways, and if a organisation who is known to be dangerous threatens them like that, I wouldn't go.

As an Indian fan, it would've been nice to see Bangaldesh learn their cricket, but now I'm more concerned about the safety of our team than cricket.

Beleg

International Regular
If I were an Indian cricketer, I simply wouldn't go. Providing experience and lucrative money deals are fine and dandy but If a known killer has publically threatened me then I would never run the risk of putting my life in jeopardy, I value it too much for that.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
There are two ways of looking at it-
  1. There is no point. There is nothing the Indian team can gain by touring Bangladesh, from a cricketing point of view. There is a big gap between Bangladesh and the rest of India's opposition, and the Indian A-team and a few Ranji/Duleep sides fill the gap. If you're facing death threats on a tour that promises no great cricket, there's no point. Especially when the security there is not reliable, and given the opinions of some powerful people in Mumbai about Bangladeshis. They have, as someone said, struck before and successfully, too.
  2. However, these troublemakers are cowards without a face. They have good nothing to their credit. The Indian cricket team and even their Bangladesh opposition are far greater in stature than them. They should not be afraid of people who don't show their faces. By touring the country, they can show the noisemakers that they are not afraid. They survived the tour of Pakistan and they can survive this one, too.
Are they looking to attack the cricketers with the highest brand value? Maybe the Indians can send a B-team instead, if that is the case.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Things are hardly any different from the Zim-Eng death threats in WC'03.

I don't expect any other solution.

Sudeep

International Captain
wpdavid said:
Is there a stated reason for the threat?
Cricket Web report said:
The threat, sent to Indian High Commission in Dhaka, said: "We are happy that India is coming to Bangladesh. We are ready to kill them. Hindus killed 2,000 Muslims in Gujarat in 2002. We will take revenge."

Tony Blade

U19 Cricketer
Anyone can send a fax... Although, if there is any realistic possibilty of an attack, the team should not go.

NikhilN

International Regular
Neil Pickup said:
Things are hardly any different from the Zim-Eng death threats in WC'03.

I don't expect any other solution.
ya but we are talking about a dif group of people here neil