• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Daniel Vettori

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
He went through a few bad seasons after the injury to his back, which forced changes to his run-up and bowling action. During this period he seemed to bowl a lot flatter and became too predictable. This was OK for economy - especially in ODIs - but not very good for wicket-taking.

He also played in a lot of tests and ODIs around the time of the home series against India where the pitches were seaming so much that he wasn't even bowled, and was eventually dropped so he could get some overs in FC cricket.

Last edited:

bryce

International Regular
sorry i must of forgotten this, when was vettori dropped ?

Last edited:

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
They dropped (released) him from the last two ODIs against India I think so he could get some bowling for ND. It was simply because there was no need for a spinner. OK, released was a better term.

bryce

International Regular
the only match he missed in that 7 ODI series was the 6th one where he was rested and he came back and played the 7th, he didn't play for ND in that short rest period either

shaka

International Regular
Stats count for nothing, especially in an ODI game, where anything can happen on the day, Vettori started off brilliantly and was the youngest spinner to 100 wickets or something. After his 'concussipn' / injury he has performed badly. The last two tours he has been on has proved wonders for his confidence. Umpires made a difference IMO from the one's that umpired in the 2 tests against Australia.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Daniel Vettori's Test-record between 2002 and the Bangladesh Test-series
As we can see, he basically had 1 good match - and an average of 60 is very poor.
Hopefully the sensational Bangladesh series he had will prove a reconstruction of his Test-career - he certainly bowled really well in the two Trans-Tasman Tests and was very unlucky not to get a better average.
I didn't see a great deal of him in his poor period but I presume he bowled largely as he bowled in the Tests in England - he wouldn't, obviously, have been helped by so few spin-friendly wickets.
His last Test before this wicket-drought was on a WACA turner that he exploited beautifully. Even then, though, his average was still 33.something - not exceptional but not as bad as it was during the period of reference here.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
His last Test before this wicket-drought was on a WACA turner that he exploited beautifully. Even then, though, his average was still 33.something - not exceptional but not as bad as it was during the period of reference here.
do you really want to start this thing all over again? your hole theory about the WACA is based on no proof, no back up and completely ridiculous concepts.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not everyone heard last time - let's just ignore it, eh? You don't think the pitch was a turner, I do. OK?

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
Not everyone heard last time - let's just ignore it, eh? You don't think the pitch was a turner, I do. OK?
yes and thats despite the fact that the cricinfo match reports and the commentators for that match back it up and the fact that warne couldnt do any damage on that wicket. but of course you bring it out as though its a proven fact that it was a turner, when actually all the facts point against it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I am not going to do this again.
I will say, though, that Warne getting poor figures isn't anything to shout about, something you acknowledged last time.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
I am not going to do this again.
I will say, though, that Warne getting poor figures isn't anything to shout about, something you acknowledged last time.
if you are not going to do this again, then perhaps it would be better to not state things as though it were a proven fact and that it was backed up by everyone else. as far as i know you have said that everyone who has watched the game and said that it wasnt a turner was not watching closely enough, and yet you cant get even a single person to back your theory up.
and as far as warne is concerned, yes i said that warne struggles occasionally on turners, what i do not understand though is why he was struggling to turn the ball vigorously and what you call a blatant turner. apparently no one on cricinfo spotted warne turning the ball ferociously on this turner(unless its an anomaly in which he was unlucky to not be able to turn the ball) and no one on cricinfo spotted the pitch as a turner.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I am wholly tempted to go through the whole thing again but for the sake of avoiding more of this pointless, insult-filled "tripe", multi-quote posts again I'm not going to.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I dont think Vettori can be called a strike bowler in tests yet. He is a utility one day bowler but usually all he is required to do in the helpful New Zealand wickets is to hold one end up.

And he has not been hugely successful in tests in the subcontinent either. He is a good stock bowler till now for tests but needs to do much more to gain the reputation of a world class 'strike' bowler.

Craig

World Traveller
duffer said:
He was thrown into the deep end of Test cricket really early wasn't he? The first few seasons I didn't think he was exactly ready for Test cricket thus the inflated averages.

He's a much better player than his numbers suggest IMO.
He was anything but. Youngest spinner to get to 100 Test wickets, and just missed out on being the youngest bowler of all-time at the time to get to 100 Test wickets. Then he got injured, came back, got injured, remodelled his action, came back and played some ODIs, did ok v Australia, then lost some confidence with the ball, and hopefully he looks like he has got his confidence back.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
he bowled well in the trans-tasman series and if it was against anyone other australia i think his series average would be much lower
i think he is now truly back in form and not just against sides like bangladesh