• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

** Official ** Sri Lanka in New Zealand tour

anzac

International Debutant
Kent said:
It's interesting that two of the Academy's golden boys (McCullum & Taylor) have both entered FC cricket attempting to treat provincial bowlers with absolute contempt. Perhaps rather than try to earn a black cap through weight of runs, the idea is to work on as many shots as possible, and wait for a tap on the shoulder they know is coming anyway.
problem being that the fast track to Test selection seems thru' OD performance - hence the proliferation of batting being 'here for a good time - not a long time'.................

and why I'm looking at top order players as per above.............

bryce

International Regular
anzac said:
from memory that would mean a lot of shots going for the boundaries and not a great deal of strike rotation or cheeky singles to break up the bowler's rythmn...........

mcmillan was actually a competent strike rotater

bryce

International Regular
sri lanka play their first match in NZ tomorrow vs a full strength CD, i would like to see jamie how get amongst the runs very much, michael mason will also have a point to prove, with regards to the sri lanka V ND match on thursday the ground staff have said they are going to make the pitch as flat as possible because they want bat dominating, i'm probaly going to watch that game too

bryce

International Regular
how long have you visited stuff for Kent? there was a little article on me in late Febuary

bryce

International Regular
wasn't exactly about me but my name was in the title, just for taking 5 wickets in the local 1st XI comp

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
From what I can gather, the Yarrow pitch is a shocker due to the rain & that batsmen are going to get worked over.

bryce

International Regular
lol by the looks of things so far you may be right, CD 28/2 spearman and how both bowled by zoysa, taylor 11* and sinclair 3*

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Im not surprised though. New Plymouth has been notoriously bad over the years for producing green seamers.

I don't think we should be allowing Sri Lanka to get used to these types of conditions either.

southern man

U19 Cricketer
He is only 20, give him time. If he is this good as a one day player at 20, then im sure he will become alot better.

But he is now going off.

Kent

State 12th Man
I'm not sure the Lankans will be thrilled they were made part of this experiment to get ODIs at Yarrows Stadium in the near future. Not only was rain and a poor pitch always a decent chance, but they could get more of the same in Hamilton and head into the first ODI virtually cold.

Whoops, sounds like Taylor is injured. Hope it's nothing serious.
http://www.nzcricket.co.nz/fullscorecard.aspx?match=003

If you're overseas, you could get a radio commentary at the site below (at least 20 minutes delayed though, which sucks). It's 16.24 NZT as I post this.
http://www.radiosport.co.nz/twondemandtue.htm

bryce

International Regular
Kent said:
I'm not sure the Lankans will be thrilled they were made part of this experiment to get ODIs at Yarrows Stadium in the near future. Not only was rain and a poor pitch always a decent chance, but they could get more of the same in Hamilton and head into the first ODI virtually cold.
i've mentioned it already, but i will again anyway that the hamilton ground staff are going to make the pitch as flat as possible so the batsman dominate, the weather here has also tidied up a bit aswell

Kent

State 12th Man
Good to hear Bryce. Which leaves me wondering if the media was just short on sports news at this time of year and did a bit of scaremongering instead.

Last edited:

bryce

International Regular
that's exactly what i thought, i'm confident the hamilton pitch will hold up this season

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Im more concerned about Eden Park. It's been a horrible pitch for as long as I can remember.