• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gutsiest Bowling

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Add Warne's 4/36 in the semi-final of the 1996 WC against West Indies. Australia had two amazing fightbacks that match, from 4/15 (and 2-28 from 10 overs from Ambrose) to make 207, and then from the West Indies being 2/165 to bowling them out for 202. Warne was the catalyst for the second and even more remarkable fightback.

One of the gutsiest team performances I've ever seen in an ODI as well, given that the shorter format allows for less such performances than test cricket. And, for what it's worth, also one of the most exciting finishes. I wish I had a tape of that match now. ;)

His aforementioned 4/29 in the 1999 semi-final was amazing as well. These are the sort of performances people forget about when they claim Warne is overrated.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Son Of Coco said:
I'm not a big fan of mentioning Caddick as a gutsy bowler, although the effort you've mentioned was very good. For mine he neglected to turn up in the first innings way too many times.
What does that have to do with a one-off gutsy effort though?

C_C

International Captain
Gutsiest bowling to me is bowling brilliantly while being injured or seriously hampered....
In that sense, the gutsiest bowling of all is Malcolm Marshall's seven-fer against ENG while he bowled with a broken left arm in a sling.
(try bowling with your other arm being in a sling and see how disruptive it is...even if your arm is perfectly fine).
Kumble with a broken jaw scalping lara is one such example either.
I think another (not sure) is Imran Khan scything through the Indian lineup in early 80s bowling with a broken foot.
Nehra decimating England in the world cup with a six-fer while bowling with a broken ankle is one such example as well.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gutsy is also bowling against mental opposition of sorts. That is, a Zimbabwean or West Indian taking a big haul against Australia or a bowler fighting back from 0/60 out of 400+ to take 5/80 of quality batsman.

C_C

International Captain
West Indian taking a big haul against Australia or a bowler fighting back from 0/60 out of 400+ to take 5/80 of quality batsman.
You mean the West Indians of the last 5 years or so... For i dont see Walsh or Ambrose taking a big bite outta the Aussie lineup as Gutsy but expected.....(btw, Ambrose made Aussies one of his bashing buddies,with England being the biggest punching bag of em all)....
And WI of the late 70s and 80s were worldclass...

No doubt a Henry Olonga or Jermaine Lawson staring down the Aussies and taking a 7-60 or 5-50 haul is gutsy, but its not the same level as playing with an injury or serious hinderance....
Same standards as batting really...if Deano's knock is the gutsiest because of the injuries and physical hinderances he had to overcome, same should be the criteria for bowling.....for Deano's performance is gutsier than many other knocks but not as good as many others as well.