Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Son Of Coco

Thread: I have a query, if someone can answer with proof please

Cricket Spectator

I have a query, if someone can answer with proof please

In Beamer ball above the waist (which is suppose to be NO Ball), if Batsman tries to play and ball touches the bat's lower corner and go to the wicket. what it will be?

No Ball or Out ???

Thanks
    BR
    Abdullah

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    28 runs will be added to the batting team

Cricket Spectator
    Very Funny....

Cricket Web Staff Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    No ball, not out, and I hope the batsman took a cheeky single when the fieldling side were busy appealing.

If it's above waist height on the full it's a no ball, and so is a no ball by the time it reaches the batsman. As such it can't be out bowled, caught, lbw, hit wicket or stumped. They can still be out in the other weird ways.

This is different to a wide which if hit by the batsman can't be called a wide.

Trivia: This is why when counting the balls a batsman has faced, no balls count but wides don't. You can hit a no ball, but you can't hit a wide since if you hit it, it isn't wide.
    What if all the switches get stuck on 'destroy'?

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    No ball, not out, and I hope the batsman took a cheeky single when the fieldling side were busy appealing.

If it's above waist height on the full it's a no ball, and so is a no ball by the time it reaches the batsman. As such it can't be out bowled, caught, lbw, hit wicket or stumped. They can still be out in the other weird ways.

This is different to a wide which if hit by the batsman can't be called a wide.

Trivia: This is why when counting the balls a batsman has faced, no balls count but wides don't. You can hit a no ball, but you can't hit a wide since if you hit it, it isn't wide.
    I do find it kind of curious that you can be given out handled the ball off a no-ball, since it tends to happen when batsmen use their hand to stop the ball hitting the stumps, which wouldn't be out anyway in this case. But then I guess if you couldn't be out handled the ball you'd be able to catch it and run with it over the boundary or something.

Will this resolve itself when it gets merged with obstructing the field, as you could argue that there's nothing obstructive about nudging the ball away from the stumps if you couldn't be given out bowled anyway?
    Want every conversation to be about cricket? Download your copy of The Cricketer's Lexicon now! It's a constantly evolving project, so contribute here!

Cricket Web Staff Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    The handled the ball dismissal isn't really there for the more common 'knock it away from your stumps with your hand.' It's there to prevent outright cheating.

Basically anything that lets you run forever (e.g. catching the ball and running with it) will always be off limits.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    If it touches the inside of his bat and cannons into his box it will also be 'no ball'. Depending on where the impact occurs, it could be two no balls.
    Starfighter likes this.
    R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

"There's more chance of SoC making a good post than Smith averaging 99.95." - Furball

"**** you're such a **** poster." - Furball

Thread Information