• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Bat size for a female/shorter player - Help!

cricket_lass_81

Cricket Spectator
Hi everyone. I am a female cricketer, who is looking to buy my own bat. I had ordered a Newbery 7even bat (as was recommended this). However, I have found the length of the bat too long for me (I am 5ft 4'/164cm) and a bit heavy (its 2lb 6oz). I normally bat at number 3 or 4 and want a bat that I can manoeuvre easily, but still packs a punch (I have been borrowing a bat which I think is a size 6 or Harrow, but this is very old and doesn't have much wood in it!). I wondered if any shorter cricketers out there could give me any recommendations. I am worried that buying a size 6 or Harrow Junior bat, that they may not 'pack the punch' or give as good a performance as an adult sized bat. Has any shorter players out there experienced this or anyone used a Junior sized bat before and can give me advice?

Many Thanks!

Chris

Le Mac

Banned
Hi everyone. I am a female cricketer, who is looking to buy my own bat. I had ordered a Newbery 7eleven bat (as was recommended this). However, I have found the length of the bat too long for me (I am 5ft 4'/164cm) and a bit heavy (its 2lb 6oz). I normally bat at number 3 or 4 and want a bat that I can manoeuvre easily, but still packs a punch (I have been borrowing a bat which I think is a size 6 or Harrow, but this is very old and doesn't have much wood in it!). I wondered if any shorter cricketers out there could give me any recommendations. I am worried that buying a size 6 or Harrow Junior bat, that they may not 'pack the punch' or give as good a performance as an adult sized bat. Has any shorter players out there experienced this or anyone used a Junior sized bat before and can give me advice?

Many Thanks!

Chris

Two quick questions before I give you my advice (fee waived):

1: When did 7-Eleven start making cricket equipment? I have only ever bought slurpies and salmonella-ridden hotdogs from them.

2: What is this bat made of if it doesn't have much wood in it? Was Denis Lillie involved in its construction by any chance?

Kind regards.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think a lot of the manufacturers make "Small mens'" bats these days. My young bloke is a bit taller than you at 13 and has a GM small mens bat which is about 2 lb four or five. I wouldn't necessarily worry too much about the actual weight as much as I would about how the bat feels when it picks up. Some bats, because of the way they're weighted "pick up light" - they seem lighter than they actually are.

Personally, I'd err on the side of a bat that's a bit too light for you rather than heavy. If you're batting top order you want to be able to play off both feet and execute the horizontal bat shots well. It's a very individual thing, but I've always found a bat which is too heavy makes playing the back foot shots difficult. The trade off is you can belt the bejeebus out of drive.

Good luck with it :)

Pyarsekaho

Cricket Spectator
I have been successful in junior cricket with it but am worried that if I transition into senior cricket thisyear that it will just further impair me or even be classified as an illegal delivery.???