• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Struggling with reading the length of fuller deliveries or full tosses

mstar42

Cricket Spectator
Hey guys, I'm a right handed batsman who plays in U15. I have a lot of trouble reading the length of very full deliveries or full tosses. My mind can't seem to discover the fact that the ball will bounce quite near me or that it won't bounce at all. I am generally quite skilled at picking the length of the ball. But I simply can't do that when the ball is very full or when it's a full toss. Is there anything I could do to help solve this problem?

Riggins

International Captain
Fair chance you're not watching the ball out of the hand. If you know/expect the ball to land somewhere, say on a good length, then you sometimes subconsciously focus on that area. You end up still playing the majority of balls fine because they land there or close to there, but anything way outside those zones (i.e. full tosse) can something you don't pick up. I'd try and concentrate super hard on seeing the ball as early as you can out of the hand and see if that helps.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yup, and make sure that you are not moving when the ball is released. I find myself stuck to the crease with anything full when my trigger is too late, but fine to play anything short of a good length, because I'm still moving when the ball is being bowled.

mstar42

Cricket Spectator
Thanks for the help guys :) I'll use your advice the next time my club has practice. I'd call up my buddies and play some cricket now but it's winter :(. Anyway, thanks for the advice.