• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ball tampering

45DegreeOBS

Cricket Spectator
Is a spin bowler allowed to wear rough plasters on his fingers to help with his grip on the ball? I decided to wear a rough plaster on my thumb, because it always gets wet and slippery when I touch the new ball. If I wear a plaster it keeps it dry and the ball doesn't slip out of my hand as often. My thumb doesn't scratch against the ball so is this considered ball tampering and am I allowed to also put plasters on other fingers that are in contact with the ball throughout the delivery, or would that be illegal? ( I really don't see any reason why I shouldn't be allowed to do this, doesn't Ajantha Mendis also wear plasters on all his fingers? )

45DegreeOBS

Cricket Spectator
Yup, technically it is.
"No member of the fielding side other than the wicket-keeper shall be permitted to wear gloves or external leg guards. In addition, protection for the hand or fingers may be worn only with the consent of the umpires." (Law 41.1)

Riggins

International Captain
Yeah, but it's the same as with a sweat band or a watch on the bowling hand, you need to take it off if the batsman asks.