• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The effect of the follow-through on a ball's trajectory

45DegreeOBS

Cricket Spectator
How can the direction of the follow-through affect the trajectory of your delivery? I've noticed the direction of the follow-through often leads to a bit more / less drift and if it really assists or counters drift, could an angled follow-through possibly be another potential weapon for a spinner? Has anyone else noticed the ball doing different things when a more sideways follow-through is used?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When your arm/body follows through it affects the flow of the air in the immediate vicinity of the crease. If you finish your action quick enough and take a few steps forward like fast bowlers do, you push more air down the pitch, thus changing the air pressure and flow around the ball. Theres a study that was done recently which backs this up - www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17525353‎

45DegreeOBS

Cricket Spectator
When your arm/body follows through it affects the flow of the air in the immediate vicinity of the crease. If you finish your action quick enough and take a few steps forward like fast bowlers do, you push more air down the pitch, thus changing the air pressure and flow around the ball. Theres a study that was done recently which backs this up - www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17525353‎
So you could actually cause drift or speed the ball up / lessen speed just by subtly changing the direction of your bowling arm's follow through? I'm surprised that few international players make use of this!

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So you could actually cause drift or speed the ball up / lessen speed just by subtly changing the direction of your bowling arm's follow through? I'm surprised that few international players make use of this!
It's common knowledge, I'm pretty sure most of them know

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
There is little need to. It can be very easy to spot, screw up your rhythm and there are easier ways to disguise pace.

It can work but there are more effective ways of doing it.