• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Confidence once hit when batting.

kellysix

Cricket Spectator
Hi All,
New to the forum just wondering how I can get confidence after being hit at training recently. I'm 15 but I am playing in a Men's competition as well as juniors. I got hit by a medium pace bowler but it struck me right inbetween my ribcage, I was immidately winded badly and I had a immediate bruise. I have lost confidence getting behind the ball and I want to get that confidence back. Any tips?
Thanks!

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
wear a chest guard perhaps, might be an idea to get some tennis balls thrown/bowling machined to you in short as well, then you can ease back into hard ball stuff

kellysix

Cricket Spectator
I don't know how much confidence I would get from a chest guard as I am a very front on batsman and I am more likey to get hit in the middle of my chest as opposed to my side. A soft ball working into the leather ball sounds smart though. I will definetely try that thank you!

Riggins

International Captain
Hit a thousand tennis balls and just practice attacking it until you're confident that you get a short ball in a game it's going for four. You nail the first short ball you get in a game and you probably wont get another one.

sjg2797

Cricket Spectator
Practice makes perfect. Train yourself against bouncers till the fear is gone and you develop the hook and pull as natural instinct(tennis balls first of course). However its inevitable that you will get hit again, it happens. The best thing to do after you're hit is just walk away, gather yourself, come back take guard, and begin again. If you keep your head they can try to hit you as much as they want a body shot doesn't dismiss you,however, losing your head can.

The Coach

Cricket Spectator
Practice makes perfect. Train yourself against bouncers till the fear is gone and you develop the hook and pull as natural instinct(tennis balls first of course). However its inevitable that you will get hit again, it happens. The best thing to do after you're hit is just walk away, gather yourself, come back take guard, and begin again. If you keep your head they can try to hit you as much as they want a body shot doesn't dismiss you,however, losing your head can.
Disagree! Practice makes permanent and only if you are practicing something properly is it then possible to then make perfect.
I would start from the other end, learn to duck or weave by having someone throw tennis balls at you, start with underarm, then throw bouncers over arm, then serve up with a tennis racket. Once the batter knows he can dodge anything that comes his way then progress to shot play.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Get the fastest bowler you know to hit you short a good dozen times with no bat or helmet. Once you wake up, it won't seem so bad when it happens in game.

Riggins

International Captain
Disagree! Practice makes permanent and only if you are practicing something properly is it then possible to then make perfect.
I would start from the other end, learn to duck or weave by having someone throw tennis balls at you, start with underarm, then throw bouncers over arm, then serve up with a tennis racket. Once the batter knows he can dodge anything that comes his way then progress to shot play.
couldn't disagree more. learn to get in positions to play the short one positively, which always gives you the option to get away from the ball at the last minute, as long as you've got yourself in the right position. If you force yourself to learn to play it by ducking and weaving at all costs, you'll never be able to attack it and you'll never be competent against it.

Riggins

International Captain
Of course, if your entire game plan is revolved around front foot play, you may as well just duck as low as you can as soon as someone drops a fraction short. Short bowling can't get you out unless you let it, and bowlers get tired of putting in the effort for a short one if you just completely ignore it.

Basically - if you want to learn to play it well, practice dominating it by getting into perfect positions, from there just lean away and ignore it if you want. If you can't do anything else, duck at all costs.

Last edited:

sjg2797

Cricket Spectator
Australians and South Africans dominate short bowling. We grow up on bouncy green tops. We're taught to attack the short ball by hooking and pulling. learning to play those shots first gives you the best instinct to get into position for that type of bowling whether on attack or ducking. ducking and swaying will come naturally as long as you watch the ball. Rather be positive ducking and not feeling bat on ball for long periods will get you bogged down and build frustration