Thread: Confidence once hit when batting.

Cricket Spectator

Confidence once hit when batting.

Hi All,
    New to the forum just wondering how I can get confidence after being hit at training recently. I'm 15 but I am playing in a Men's competition as well as juniors. I got hit by a medium pace bowler but it struck me right inbetween my ribcage, I was immidately winded badly and I had a immediate bruise. I have lost confidence getting behind the ball and I want to get that confidence back. Any tips?
    Thanks!

wear a chest guard perhaps, might be an idea to get some tennis balls thrown/bowling machined to you in short as well, then you can ease back into hard ball stuff
    There are two colours in my head

Sugarealm

Cricket Spectator
    I don't know how much confidence I would get from a chest guard as I am a very front on batsman and I am more likey to get hit in the middle of my chest as opposed to my side. A soft ball working into the leather ball sounds smart though. I will definetely try that thank you!

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    Hit a thousand tennis balls and just practice attacking it until you're confident that you get a short ball in a game it's going for four. You nail the first short ball you get in a game and you probably wont get another one.
    The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Cricket Spectator
    Practice makes perfect. Train yourself against bouncers till the fear is gone and you develop the hook and pull as natural instinct(tennis balls first of course). However its inevitable that you will get hit again, it happens. The best thing to do after you're hit is just walk away, gather yourself, come back take guard, and begin again. If you keep your head they can try to hit you as much as they want a body shot doesn't dismiss you,however, losing your head can.

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by sjg2797 View Post
    Practice makes perfect. Train yourself against bouncers till the fear is gone and you develop the hook and pull as natural instinct(tennis balls first of course). However its inevitable that you will get hit again, it happens. The best thing to do after you're hit is just walk away, gather yourself, come back take guard, and begin again. If you keep your head they can try to hit you as much as they want a body shot doesn't dismiss you,however, losing your head can.
    Disagree! Practice makes permanent and only if you are practicing something properly is it then possible to then make perfect.
    I would start from the other end, learn to duck or weave by having someone throw tennis balls at you, start with underarm, then throw bouncers over arm, then serve up with a tennis racket. Once the batter knows he can dodge anything that comes his way then progress to shot play.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Get the fastest bowler you know to hit you short a good dozen times with no bat or helmet. Once you wake up, it won't seem so bad when it happens in game.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Quote Originally Posted by The Coach View Post
    Disagree! Practice makes permanent and only if you are practicing something properly is it then possible to then make perfect.
    I would start from the other end, learn to duck or weave by having someone throw tennis balls at you, start with underarm, then throw bouncers over arm, then serve up with a tennis racket. Once the batter knows he can dodge anything that comes his way then progress to shot play.
    couldn't disagree more. learn to get in positions to play the short one positively, which always gives you the option to get away from the ball at the last minute, as long as you've got yourself in the right position. If you force yourself to learn to play it by ducking and weaving at all costs, you'll never be able to attack it and you'll never be competent against it.

Of course, if your entire game plan is revolved around front foot play, you may as well just duck as low as you can as soon as someone drops a fraction short. Short bowling can't get you out unless you let it, and bowlers get tired of putting in the effort for a short one if you just completely ignore it.

Basically - if you want to learn to play it well, practice dominating it by getting into perfect positions, from there just lean away and ignore it if you want. If you can't do anything else, duck at all costs.
    Last edited by Riggins; 21-12-2013 at 06:27 AM.

Cricket Spectator
    Australians and South Africans dominate short bowling. We grow up on bouncy green tops. We're taught to attack the short ball by hooking and pulling. learning to play those shots first gives you the best instinct to get into position for that type of bowling whether on attack or ducking. ducking and swaying will come naturally as long as you watch the ball. Rather be positive ducking and not feeling bat on ball for long periods will get you bogged down and build frustration

Thread Information