• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Playing the ball to early

sjg2797

Cricket Spectator
Hi, I seem to be early on my shots often being to eager to get bat to ball. Are there any drills or ways to correct this?

shahidpak

Cricket Spectator
Well im not a pro about this but i think u should get som1to throw under arms at you and you should bat on back foot and let the ball come toyou

Riggins

International Captain
Sort of.

Underarm's are a good way to start, particularly on the double bounce. Don't get on the back foot though, still make sure you're stepping forward at your personal comfortable length of stride on the right line.

Start out hitting with only your top hand, you'll have less control of the blade so it forces you to wait for the ball longer or you won't make decent contact. Hit 50 or so balls one handed, really concentrating on staying side on. Staying side on and playing the ball late go hand in hand. Don't do one and you wont be able to do the other.

After that just really groove yourself on staying side on when you're in a normal net.

Camel 56

Banned
Hi, I seem to be early on my shots often being to eager to get bat to ball. Are there any drills or ways to correct this?

If you're early on your shots then my recommendation would be to rub some ice on the area and get it nice and numb before initial entry. This will dull the sensations you're used to feeling and allow you to go for a little longer before your shot. If that fails then try giving yourself a touch up immediately beforehand to take the edge off.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting. Do you think applying oil on the shaft helps with this issue too?