• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

18, never played properly before, where to start?

J_asonR

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
It is definitely possible to start at a late age. I have recently myself just got back into cricket at the age of 26 after 6 years without playing league cricket properly (Minus a 5 game streak 3 years ago which went (50,50,dnb,0,0) then I retired again. However, the reason I have started playing again is down to my sisters fiance taking up the sport at 24. He's quite clueless at the moment, but is enthusiastic, yet he came across the game through chance.

His colleague at work needed an extra man for a midweek team in the local area who were short, so he played and loved it.Now he can't get enough and looks forward to it each week. The standard isn't the best by any means, but its good for getting your eye in, in a pressureless environment. I went along the week after and they saw me bowling at him in the nets and asked if I wanted a game, so I've been playing the past few weeks and I'm loving it. I've also realised I am bowling a hell of a lot sharper and can throw a ball further than I ever could previously. I haven't played a league game this year, but I'm gonna net all winter and go back to Saturday cricket next year. My sis' fiance, also wants to play league cricket this year as he currently see's himself as the next warney.

Basically, ask friends, work colleagues anyone that you know, theres a lot of mid week teams nationwide which represent businesses etc, they may have a couple of good players but there will be a lot of beginners / fun players in the teams too!
Glad your back in the game too! I joined again, after 3 years out, beginning of last season after a mate persuaded me and it's been the best thing I've done.

Only bad thing is cricket isn't cheap. Especially when you break a bat!!

MCC111

Cricket Spectator
As a brief update, since moving to Edinburgh I've been to a couple of sessions with RHC CC and I am loving it (thanks Goughy!) I'm very glad I've got back in the game - but I do regret missing out on so many years through not playing.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
As a brief update, since moving to Edinburgh I've been to a couple of sessions with RHC CC and I am loving it (thanks Goughy!) I'm very glad I've got back in the game - but I do regret missing out on so many years through not playing.
That is good news. Great to have you back in the cricket playing brotherhood