• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Just to see if anyone is interested...

Tom M

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Introductory article is written, shuold be coming everyone's way soon...

Ponty

Interesting feedback. Dave, thank you, I will contacting you in the future.

I will provide a sample soon, but in the mean time I can outline the principles which my research has highlighted as most important:

- Generation of kinetic energy in the run-up
- Stretching of elastic tissue prior to release
- Effeciently transferring kinetic energy to the ball.

There are two ways of improving these principles:

- Technique work
- Strength Conditioning work (includes stretching and flexibility work)

The book will outline the technique, demonstrate how to learn the technique and discuss the right way to do strength conditioning work for cricket. In my opinion, technique work is vastly more important. It is often forgotten that the cricket ball is only 150g, how strong do you have to be to throw or bowl that?

The principles mentioned above can theoretically be applied to bowling with ease. Actually applying it requires hard work, but from my findings it is certainly achiveable. From work with myself and my u11's, the most basic mechanics can be learnt in an hour. My most receptive young bowler was bowling noticeably quicker one session later, although there is still much work to be done on his technique.

I would also stress that although Ian Pont and I are discussing fast bowling, we have vastly different approaches. This is no criticism of Pont, but unlike his book 'The Fast Bowler's Bible' my work will explain why what I suggest works, and why you shouldn't worry about a lot of the stuff that gets taught.

I cannot promise that you'll be able to pick up the book, go down the nets and bowl 10-15 mph quicker. However, I would say that if you worked at it for half a year you would see measureable, significant improvements in your bowling speed and accuracy.

Cheers,

Tom
Just out of interest Tom, how do you feel the Lagrangian model of a fast bowler's action, differs from my interpretation of applying mechanics to the bowling action?

I read your paper, and thanks for sending it. Also thanks for acknowledging that I'm already working with drills that are perhaps at the heart of your findings - stretch reflex, hip drive etc..

The 2005 Fast Bowler's Bible was only a small part of the story and merely a prequel to many of the ABSAT coaching drills, which were formed 10 years ago without giving away the secrets that most bowling coaches would never understand. So the challenge is always to simplify things and not over complicate information. I run fast bowling workshops over 5 hours where I teach those drills to fast bowlers and run ABSAT coach education courses for coaches.

It's hard to convince coaches they need to change, so only by coaching bowlers like Dale Steyn can proof be given the methods work.

The disheartening thing about coaching for the past 15 years is that so few other coaches know anything how to teach speed and accuracy. (I added in the accuracy by the way because the Lagrangian model ostensibly deals with the rotational forces of bowling speeds and not necessarily where the ball lands, although processes lead to outcomes, which is the point of your work.)

Keep an eye out for Reece Topley...son of Don, and a left arm 15 year old prospect.

Tom M

Ponty,

To answer your first question, it doesn't really. The model was the start of my research, I now have 3 more months of work under my belt which has changed a lot of my opinions on things. I wrote about it a little bit of pitchvision but I still have a lot to say on the matter. I would say that the model was a good start, but that's all it was.

I will say that the conclusions I've come to are slightly different to yours, although this is mainly a point of emphasis. I'd be quite happy to discuss this with you if you'd like.

I hope the book will add to the very limited library of information on fast bowling. The book will be practical, with information on drills, correct strength work (i.e. the conjugate method) and flexibility (isometric stretching) since I'd like it to a be instructional.

Feel free to contact me if you'd like to discuss this, I always enjoy talking things through with people!