• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Run Up

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
How do you ensure that anything creates correct mechanics?

Right, I'm going to go read your thesis on Lagrangians. Back in a bit.
Now my eyes and brain hurt. I think I have the gist if not all of the mathematics, as I've not seen the Lagrangian in four years and it's even longer since I tried differentiating a trig function... teaching CE maths isn't quite the same intellectual challenge - even the Eton scholarship papers aren't quite up to that... is it not very similar to what Pont is trying to do with Atul Sharma - the javelin principles and the crow hop?

I would be very interested in hearing how you would advocate the coaching of fast bowling at a young age - and what principles you'd look to follow as the key points for the children to learn.

Tom M

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I would like to explain these principles and how to teach them, but I'm sure you understand that this is a business to me. Anyone could read this and take my ideas and I wouldn't benefit at all.

Last edited:

Tom M

I really don't think that turning side-on quickly has anything to do with it. Why would it? Where's the physics behind that?

I'll reiterate: the real genuine quick guys don't muscle the ball down the pitch, they use the conservation of momentum. Using a quick rotation of the shoulders, bounding high in the air, all the other things that I've heard mentioned have no justifiable reason to be important.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Well, as a club level fast bowler, bowling for around 3-4 years at premier division, my 2 cents for the young fellow are simple...... In order to bowl fast you have to have momentum behind the ball and a strong shoulder. When you are running in, your momentum has to be at its peak as the bowl is released from your hand. Every bowler's run up is different, some gain that peak in the momentum with 8-10 paces, i.e. Wasim Akram...... some need longer run ups i.e. Waqar Younis. Every bowler is different and hence run ups are different.

One thing to keep in mind is to never change your natural action, unless an extreme physical injury is feared. And everything else needs to be built around that......including the run up...

As a starter try to run in and feel in yourself, where do you feel you have the max momentum built up.....and then design your run up according to that....

I am not a coach, but sometimes i feel that the run up depends on day to day bases.......sometimes your body just needs a bigger push to get going and sometimes a small spring is good to bowl to your potential.

Again, this is from my point of view as a fast bowler....not a coach....

Good Luck,

Tom M

Well, as a club level fast bowler, bowling for around 3-4 years at premier division, my 2 cents for the young fellow are simple...... In order to bowl fast you have to have momentum behind the ball and a strong shoulder. When you are running in, your momentum has to be at its peak as the bowl is released from your hand. Every bowler's run up is different, some gain that peak in the momentum with 8-10 paces, i.e. Wasim Akram...... some need longer run ups i.e. Waqar Younis. Every bowler is different and hence run ups are different.

One thing to keep in mind is to never change your natural action, unless an extreme physical injury is feared. And everything else needs to be built around that......including the run up...

As a starter try to run in and feel in yourself, where do you feel you have the max momentum built up.....and then design your run up according to that....

I am not a coach, but sometimes i feel that the run up depends on day to day bases.......sometimes your body just needs a bigger push to get going and sometimes a small spring is good to bowl to your potential.

Again, this is from my point of view as a fast bowler....not a coach....

Good Luck,
I'd agree with all of that, apart from the strong shoulder bit.

Tom M

So does a shoulder play any role in fast bowling?
Yes, but a very different one to what you'd expect. Every cricketer would benefit from correct weight training, but it's most important for bowlers.

The reason is because when you bowl using your run-up, a series of 'stretch-reflexes' occur, where elastic energy is stored in your muscles when they are in contraction. Correct weight training programs increase the amount of energy that the muscle fibres can store.

For more information, read some of this book, it's free. Biomechanics in sport: performance ... - Google Books

micoach

Yes, but a very different one to what you'd expect. Every cricketer would benefit from correct weight training, but it's most important for bowlers.

The reason is because when you bowl using your run-up, a series of 'stretch-reflexes' occur, where elastic energy is stored in your muscles when they are in contraction. Correct weight training programs increase the amount of energy that the muscle fibres can store.

For more information, read some of this book, it's free. Biomechanics in sport: performance ... - Google Books
Great to see someone who is saying the same thing as me for a change. We are in a very small club Tom.

By the way, I emailed you a while back, did you get it?

Tom M

Great to see someone who is saying the same thing as me for a change. We are in a very small club Tom.

By the way, I emailed you a while back, did you get it?
Sorry, is this Ian? If it is, I'm pretty sure I replied to the email you sent?