• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Whats the correct bowling technique for medium pace?

kuranui

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hi,

Im looking to bowl a few overs for my team this season, but my bowling just isn't up to scratch. Im defiantly a medium pace bowler because i get very little pace out of the ball, but my team mates do comment saying that i occasionally surprise them with a lot of bounce and turn of the ball.

I'd be really happy with any advice you can give me.

Cheers
Shaun

micoach

Its the same as with any bowler. Line yourself up correctly and drive your body towards the batsman.

The accuracy part of the action is a lot about how you set up and where you release the ball. Set up pointing towards the batter, release the ball above your head (sound silly but many don't) at a 12 o'clock position (or perhaps a bit lower, but not over your opposite hip).

thierry henry

International Coach
Whatever you do, don't bowl 150kph, and avoid perfectly pitched and flighted leg-breaks. Not good techniques for medium pace at all.

jathu

You should make sure you use wrist and not just your shoulder when bowling.When you are just about to release the ball whilst bowling flick your wrist forward.This will give you extra pace and bounce. And ****ing the ball back and bowling would also give you some extra bounce.

bryce

International Regular
I've been a medium pacer for a while. Key things that help me bowl well are(though everyone is different) ,

*Stand tall as you run-in and deliver the ball
*Keep your non-bowling arm "active" as you deliver the ball - by that i mean have it come up and point towards the batsman as you deliver the ball
*Keep your eye on the spot you want the ball to pitch for your whole run-in and delivery
*Refine and master your run-up to the point of perfection - don't try and bowl effort balls, the primary key to medium-pace is accuracy and trying to up the pace may find you straying down legside

bryce

International Regular
I'm 6'4" and 95 kgs and always believed I could make it as a fast bowler but I just cannot control it at all going all out so these days I am very happily resigned to being nothing but a medium-pacer - knowing that so long as I can maintain accuracy then I can maintain control over batsmen