• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Too much bottomhand?

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
I always tried to use more top hand by only using the thumb and index finger on my bottom hand. Recently when I've had a net every ball hurts the tendon between my thumb and forefinger as it makes contact with the bat. I figure there's something wrong with my grip and I'm gripping it too tight and using too much bottom hand. The fact that I'm only using two fingers then increases the problem as that one tendon is taking most of the impact.

What should I do to fix this? I'm told the more conventional method is to use fingers 3, 4 and 5 only on the bottom hand but when I try this I end up switching my grip as the ball is bowled to how I feel comfortable.

Btw, there's nothing wrong with my top hand strength or technique. I'm fine when I do top hand work but when I'm facing quick bowlers I resort to my natural bottom hand dominant game.

(There's far too many opportunities to use a :naughty: so don't bother)

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Get someone to underarm you balls which you play back through the V with only your top hand. Do this regularly enough, and it will really help. Make sure that you keep your shape when doing it - hit the ball with the same body shape that you would if the bottom hand was there.

Do some throwdowns straight after that, and you may possibly even notice a difference straight away. But do this drill for a while, and it should help your top hand take control.