• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowling action: Chest on/Side on

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Front on. The following freeze-frame (which took me bloody ages to capture) shows your Back Foot landing, your right foot pointing dead straight down the wicket. The video's really not good, by the way. We could really use end-on or side-on footage.

I like the action. It is steady and controlled and looks repeatable, but I don't think there is any real pace there - the ball is very hard to make out but it does look to go up out of your hand, which is never a great sign. I would hope a good U13 wicketkeeper would be standing up to that and giving you an extra dimension.

Are you in a County that runs district cricket? I would imagine you would be close to consideration for that if you are still U13 next summer (i.e. have just finished Year 7). With a little focus on generating some explosive energy around the delivery stride (your load up is quite wide, there doesn't appear to be much from the coil outwards and there is very little chest drive and follow through) I think there is potential there to create, if not any genuine pace, a little bit of hurry-up and nip.

Attachments

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Certainly chest on rather than side on.

A little bit of the Simon Jones in front arm as well :)

-ShakeyBlakey-

Cricket Spectator
Thanks for your replies. It sounds like you went to a lot of effort.
No, I'll be going into U14s next year.
I'm already playing rep games, so I could have a chance to get to district.
I feel that accuracy, swing and deviation more important than pace to me, as pace will definitely come when I grow. What I'm trying to focus on now is setting a good action into stone first.
I have had a coaching session with an ECB III coach at Dummer cricket centre and the points from the coach for me, where not to dip my head when delivering the ball and lengthen folow through. Though this feels a little awkward and is very very slow! Is it okay to dip in my follow through if I am not dipping while delivering the ball?
I have been practising this, so I'll have to send you a more up to date email, with a better quality, however the weather here is horrible, so it's not likely to be uploaded today, sorry about that.
However, what tips would you give me to adress the issues you have pointed out first, so I can work on them as soon as the rain stops.
Thanks a lot!
Blake

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I have had a coaching session with an ECB III coach at Dummer cricket centre and the points from the coach for me, where not to dip my head when delivering the ball and lengthen folow through. Though this feels a little awkward and is very very slow! Is it okay to dip in my follow through if I am not dipping while delivering the ball?
Were you genuinely told to "lengthen your follow through"?

If so, in my opinion that's appalling. The follow through is an effect, not a cause and a result of everything in your action working right. You cannot go out to alter a follow through: it's natural slow down after your energy is used in the bowling action, and it comes from having proper straight lines through the whole process. Do not focus on trying to alter it: it will be an indicator to you of whether things are coming out alright.

-ShakeyBlakey-

Cricket Spectator
The follow through is an effect, not a cause and a result of everything in your action working right.
Thats what I was told last night at my club training, however it seriously improved my rhythm and action. What the coach did was he placed 2 cones about 5- 10 paces in front of the popping crease, it made you more aware of the straight lines.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Were you genuinely told to "lengthen your follow through"?

If so, in my opinion that's appalling. The follow through is an effect, not a cause and a result of everything in your action working right. You cannot go out to alter a follow through: it's natural slow down after your energy is used in the bowling action, and it comes from having proper straight lines through the whole process. Do not focus on trying to alter it: it will be an indicator to you of whether things are coming out alright.
Its situational but Ive seen a number of players that have needed to 'lengthen their follow through'.

Ive seen a lot of people pull up very quickly and this is poor for rhythm and injury prevention.

It may not seem possible but a short follow through can lead to a backwards effect of a jerky action.

Certain bowlers benefit from a more gradual deceleration that adds a smoothness to the bowling process.

Slowing down more slowly (makes sense?) rather than pulling up to an abrubt halt will legthen the follow through.

I dont see it as an issue if a bowler is asked to not pull up so quickly.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Slowing down more slowly (makes sense?) rather than pulling up to an abrubt halt will legthen the follow through.

Yeah, agreed - it's all in the phrasing and it's very difficult to be specific without really knowing an action well: Blake's doesn't appear to have an abrupt stop, but I've seen many who do.

-ShakeyBlakey-

Cricket Spectator
Its situational but Ive seen a number of players that have needed to 'lengthen their follow through'.

Ive seen a lot of people pull up very quickly and this is poor for rhythm and injury prevention.

It may not seem possible but a short follow through can lead to a backwards effect of a jerky action.

Certain bowlers benefit from a more gradual deceleration that adds a smoothness to the bowling process.

Thats exactly how it feels, it just seems to "add smoothness to the process!"