Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: practice

Cricket Spectator

practice

Hey,

First post, great website. Very useful.

I have recently started playing cricket at the age of 28, and the last time i picked up a cricket bat was well over 10 years ago, but strangely i can't remember playing and as such i am pretty bad at playing.

does anyone know have any tips for practicing on your own, i have none of my team members that live anywhere near me and its a bit too expensive to hire a net session frequently along with someone to bowl.

Thanks

Cricket Spectator
    i would suggest buying a cheap pvc ball and simply hit it with a striaght bat against a wall

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    The ball in a stocking tied off the clothes line or a tree branch always goes well. Welcome mate.
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

Cricket Spectator Jammy Dodgers's Avatar
    good idea nnanden erm well its hard if ur a batmen but all i can say is throw an indoor windball hard at a wall or somethin and quickly pick up the bat and play a strock wen the ball comes back lol sorri not much help

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammy Dodgers View Post
    good idea nnanden erm well its hard if ur a batmen but all i can say is throw an indoor windball hard at a wall or somethin and quickly pick up the bat and play a strock wen the ball comes back lol sorri not much help
    That's what i do itbt.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Banned
    use a stump and hit a golf ball against a water tank.

I have one of those Steve Harmison skills ball. That teaches you how to bowl like steve harmison (dont know how that got past marketing) but its basically a windball with a traditional stiched seam. and the ball occasionally seams when you do the wall technique as mentioned earlier, so it will help a bit more than the ball just bouncing straight.

Boredmeeting Champion!
    http://www.seriouscricket.co.uk/shop...t.php/256/263/

This thing swings after it hits the wall and is coming back to you. Trouble is, it swings ridiculously too much if you try and actually bowl with it.

I know that this has nothing to do with what your thread...

But can you bowl as fast witha windball as you can with a cricket ball, because i am always frustrated at how slow i bowl when practising with an orange windball... ??

Quote Originally Posted by Matteh View Post
    http://www.seriouscricket.co.uk/shop...t.php/256/263/

This thing swings after it hits the wall and is coming back to you. Trouble is, it swings ridiculously too much if you try and actually bowl with it.
    I have loads of those, they sell them at Old Trafford. When i have done the wall thing with them they don't swing, the seam needs to be at least partially upright, and when you are just throwing the ball it doesn't swing for me.

The masterplan.

I can bowl at the same pace with windballs, but my accuracy disappears, when i bowl with a ball with a stitched seam i get it spot on line and length with swing. Maybe because i am concentrating on the seam position and swing and my action comes through more naturally. But windballs are definitely more difficult to bowl with.

Boredmeeting Champion!
    Throw the ball like an underarm bowl with a flick of the wrist, will swing off the wall then. Problem with windballs is that they exaggerate swing movement, so they ruin your action.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy11 View Post
    I have one of those Steve Harmison skills ball. That teaches you how to bowl like steve harmison (dont know how that got past marketing) but its basically a windball with a traditional stiched seam. and the ball occasionally seams when you do the wall technique as mentioned earlier, so it will help a bit more than the ball just bouncing straight.
    I had a Glenn McGrath kit many years ago.

Basically it was a a low quality cricket ball and 2 little rubber pads the size of a small plate.

You put one on the pitch and had to try and hit it...basically what he did throughout his career.

Cheap and useful, as the rubber pads dont fly off the pitch like paper or something you might use otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by paddy11 View Post
    Why would you want to bowl like Steve Harmison anyway !! He has one of the worst bowling actions i've ever seen !?...

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    I'm Ron Burgundy?

Banned
    You stay classy San Diego.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information