• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

practice

leedon

Cricket Spectator
Hey,

First post, great website. Very useful.

I have recently started playing cricket at the age of 28, and the last time i picked up a cricket bat was well over 10 years ago, but strangely i can't remember playing and as such i am pretty bad at playing.

does anyone know have any tips for practicing on your own, i have none of my team members that live anywhere near me and its a bit too expensive to hire a net session frequently along with someone to bowl.

Thanks

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
The ball in a stocking tied off the clothes line or a tree branch always goes well. :) Welcome mate.

Jammy Dodgers

Cricket Spectator
good idea nnanden erm well its hard if ur a batmen but all i can say is throw an indoor windball hard at a wall or somethin and quickly pick up the bat and play a strock wen the ball comes back lol sorri not much help

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
good idea nnanden erm well its hard if ur a batmen but all i can say is throw an indoor windball hard at a wall or somethin and quickly pick up the bat and play a strock wen the ball comes back lol sorri not much help
That's what i do itbt.

paddy11

Cricket Spectator
I have one of those Steve Harmison skills ball. That teaches you how to bowl like steve harmison (dont know how that got past marketing) but its basically a windball with a traditional stiched seam. and the ball occasionally seams when you do the wall technique as mentioned earlier, so it will help a bit more than the ball just bouncing straight.

The Masterplan

U19 Debutant
I know that this has nothing to do with what your thread...

But can you bowl as fast witha windball as you can with a cricket ball, because i am always frustrated at how slow i bowl when practising with an orange windball... ??

paddy11

Cricket Spectator
http://www.seriouscricket.co.uk/shop/product.php/256/263/

This thing swings after it hits the wall and is coming back to you. Trouble is, it swings ridiculously too much if you try and actually bowl with it.
I have loads of those, they sell them at Old Trafford. When i have done the wall thing with them they don't swing, the seam needs to be at least partially upright, and when you are just throwing the ball it doesn't swing for me.

The masterplan.

I can bowl at the same pace with windballs, but my accuracy disappears, when i bowl with a ball with a stitched seam i get it spot on line and length with swing. Maybe because i am concentrating on the seam position and swing and my action comes through more naturally. But windballs are definitely more difficult to bowl with.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Throw the ball like an underarm bowl with a flick of the wrist, will swing off the wall then. Problem with windballs is that they exaggerate swing movement, so they ruin your action.

bond21

Banned
I have one of those Steve Harmison skills ball. That teaches you how to bowl like steve harmison (dont know how that got past marketing) but its basically a windball with a traditional stiched seam. and the ball occasionally seams when you do the wall technique as mentioned earlier, so it will help a bit more than the ball just bouncing straight.
I had a Glenn McGrath kit many years ago.

Basically it was a a low quality cricket ball and 2 little rubber pads the size of a small plate.

You put one on the pitch and had to try and hit it...basically what he did throughout his career.

Cheap and useful, as the rubber pads dont fly off the pitch like paper or something you might use otherwise.

The Masterplan

U19 Debutant
Why would you want to bowl like Steve Harmison anyway !! He has one of the worst bowling actions i've ever seen !?...

paddy11

Cricket Spectator
Why would you want to bowl like Steve Harmison anyway !! He has one of the worst bowling actions i've ever seen !?...
It was released after the ashes in 05 so presumably GM thought it would sell a lot with his name on it. The point is its a cheap training ball with a seam.