View Poll Results: What would be your ideal batsman in ODI cricket ??

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • A batsman who is more technique-based than talented

11 36.67%
  • A batsman who is more talented than technique-based

19 63.33%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is talent more important than technique ??

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    The mental aspect of cricket is more important than technique and talent, IMO. You can have a very talented cricket with average technique (Dwayne Smith, the batsman) and a rubbish mental approach, and he likely will not be successful. Then there's the talented cricketer with excellent technique and a rubbish mental approach - Daren Ganga. Worth noting that Ganga has only started to have consistent success when he got his mental approach sorted, largely due to the maturing process he underwent as captain of Trinidad and Tobago.

Mindset is extremely important in cricket, as it entails (to a large extent) courage, application and self-belief. Nasser Hussain and Paul Collingwood are two players who come to mind who succeeded more so because of their mental strength than technique or talent. Certainly, neither were possessed earth-shattering talent.

You're asking to pick the more necessary of 2 aspects of the sport - talent and technique. I don't believe that either states rank higher than the other, as both can and do contribute to successful cricketers. But the mentality ranks higher than both, because you almost certainly will not see a successful cricketer with a rubbish mentality.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    The mental talents, you might say?
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Ja. Essentially so.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I'd say mental technique, as it can be developed and not really something you can be born with.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

to have agreat technique you will have worked very hard, this will also make you mentally strong and this is what is most important. usually the talented ones bekieve it is their god given right to win and ubtil they relise they need to become techniquly sound they will not succed
    ENGLAND CB SERIES CHAMPS FUTURE WORLD CUP CHAMPS(2011) AND IN 2009 THE ASHES HOLDERS

the official England 'patriotic cheerleader'

Proud supporter of the England national cricket, football and rugby teams and of TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR FOOTBALL CLUBS

Msn: jammay123@hotmail.co.uk

come on CW BLUE

Inzy?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Oh, that was the most relative thing to what he was saying, very probably indeed, but as I say - I do think Mr. pathan could do a bit better with his initial question.
    My name just happens to be Irfan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    The mental aspect of cricket is more important than technique and talent, IMO. You can have a very talented cricket with average technique (Dwayne Smith, the batsman) and a rubbish mental approach, and he likely will not be successful. Then there's the talented cricketer with excellent technique and a rubbish mental approach - Daren Ganga. Worth noting that Ganga has only started to have consistent success when he got his mental approach sorted, largely due to the maturing process he underwent as captain of Trinidad and Tobago.

Mindset is extremely important in cricket, as it entails (to a large extent) courage, application and self-belief. Nasser Hussain and Paul Collingwood are two players who come to mind who succeeded more so because of their mental strength than technique or talent. Certainly, neither were possessed earth-shattering talent.

You're asking to pick the more necessary of 2 aspects of the sport - talent and technique. I don't believe that either states rank higher than the other, as both can and do contribute to successful cricketers. But the mentality ranks higher than both, because you almost certainly will not see a successful cricketer with a rubbish mentality.
    Good post. Hadn't really considered the mental aspect when I initially framed the question but I suppose that could come under technique as it can be developed.
    So would you now consider technique to be more important than talent for batsman in ODI cricket or is it still too hard to say ??

School Boy/Girl Captain corza_nz's Avatar
    i think when your talking odi cricket you have to say talent is going to go further than technique.
    for example in new zealand cricket over the last few years they first tried the marshall brothers based on technique and they never really worked out. now they have ross taylor who you would say is more based on his talent and so far hes going very well.

Quote Originally Posted by irfan View Post
    My name just happens to be Irfan
    Mate, I was joking.

Surely there are worse things to be called?

Mate, I was joking.

Surely there are worse things to be called?
    Haha it's fine. I just wanted you to not confuse me with some fanatical Pathan supporter.

International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by corza_nz View Post
    i think when your talking odi cricket you have to say talent is going to go further than technique.
    for example in new zealand cricket over the last few years they first tried the marshall brothers based on technique and they never really worked out. now they have ross taylor who you would say is more based on his talent and so far hes going very well.
    I think Taylor has an excellent technique, one of the most impressive NZ batsman to watch I've ever seen.

Nathan Astle would be an example of a player with an ugly technique imo.

I think the issue with Taylor is more about shot-selection.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thierry henry View Post
    I think Taylor has an excellent technique, one of the most impressive NZ batsman to watch I've ever seen.

Taylor does have a tendency to plant his front foot and play around the pad slightly, just like a right handed Stephen Fleming. If he keeps scoring runs, then who am I to complain?
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

School Boy/Girl Captain corza_nz's Avatar

i think the reason taylor was picked for the nz team was based on his talent tbh.

Agreed, 100%. A mild case of Geraint Jones syndome.
    ~ Cribbage

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information