• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is talent more important than technique ??

What would be your ideal batsman in ODI cricket ??

• A batsman who is more technique-based than talented

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • A batsman who is more talented than technique-based

Votes: 19 63.3%

• Total voters

thierry henry

International Coach
i think when your talking odi cricket you have to say talent is going to go further than technique.
for example in new zealand cricket over the last few years they first tried the marshall brothers based on technique and they never really worked out. now they have ross taylor who you would say is more based on his talent and so far hes going very well.
I think Taylor has an excellent technique, one of the most impressive NZ batsman to watch I've ever seen.

Nathan Astle would be an example of a player with an ugly technique imo.

I think the issue with Taylor is more about shot-selection.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think Taylor has an excellent technique, one of the most impressive NZ batsman to watch I've ever seen.

Taylor does have a tendency to plant his front foot and play around the pad slightly, just like a right handed Stephen Fleming. If he keeps scoring runs, then who am I to complain?

corza_nz

School Boy/Girl Captain

i think the reason taylor was picked for the nz team was based on his talent tbh.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Agreed, 100%. A mild case of Geraint Jones syndome.

pup11

International Coach
I think a good technique is important to survive when a good bowler is bowling on a good track in order to survive and make some runs.

But due to the flat nature of tracks nowadays lots of batsmen seem to do well even without a decent technique.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Technique over talent without a doubt, just look at Afridi and you should have a clear idea why.