Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: 2 Champions Trophies vs World Cup

vcs
    Actually, they needed 4 attempts to win the CT considering they were runaway favourites and clearly the best team in the world going into the 2000, 2002, 2004 and 2006 editions. Not that it should be much of a factor when it comes to ranking teams historically.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    Actually, they needed 4 attempts to win the CT considering they were runaway favourites and clearly the best team in the world going into the 2000, 2002, 2004 and 2006 editions. Not that it should be much of a factor when it comes to ranking teams historically.
    I mean no one took it at all seriously until quite recently IIRC. Certainly the Aus sides of the early 00s seemed to think it an annoying distraction.
    OverratedSanity and Adders like this.
    do you think people will be allowed to make violins?
    who's going to make the violins?

forever 63*

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    I would say that it was the format more than anything that often meant it was more of a "on the day" better team winning it than the world's best. The WC took a lot more time to arrive at their denouements and thus, we always knew who the best side were. And the post 1996 WC editions had a HUGE league stage which meant it was always going to come down to the quality of the side during the semis and the finals. The CT, being a more condensed tourney, I think helps slightly lesser sides spring surprises in the KOs far more frequently than the WC KO stages do.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Originally the CT was a pure knockout tournament, wasn't it?

When did that change?

Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Originally the CT was a pure knockout tournament, wasn't it?

When did that change?
    Only the first two were knockout tournaments. Been a traditional group+knockout format since 2002
    vic_orthdox and zorax like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Wow baby, that gave me an orgasmic pleasure!
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaagarkarajaaja View Post
    All Prasie to Ajit Bhalchandra Agarkar, the pride of Mumbai, the terminator at Adelaide.
    Quote Originally Posted by VoL View Post
    I've joined this forum, just so that i can agree with OverratedSanity...

Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    Only the first two were knockout tournaments. Been a traditional group+knockout format since 2002
    Cheers.

vcs
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    I mean no one took it at all seriously until quite recently IIRC. Certainly the Aus sides of the early 00s seemed to think it an annoying distraction.
    I don't remember them sending weakened teams etc. to any CT, TBH. I'd say no one took the WT20 2007 particularly seriously, for example. There were a lot of experimental teams and weird tactics in that event.

The 2000 match was a very tough contest and a really sweet win for India, coming after the match-fixing scandals.

There was one or two of the early ones where they didn't get any preparation at all (from memory). Flew in, played one game, lost, went home. Don't think it meant that they didn't take it seriously - just that the scheduling meant that they couldn't prepare for it seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    I don't remember them sending weakened teams etc. to any CT, TBH. I'd say no one took the WT20 2007 particularly seriously, for example. There were a lot of experimental teams and weird tactics in that event.

The 2000 match was a very tough contest and a really sweet win for India, coming after the match-fixing scandals.
    It wasn't so much that weakened teams were sent so much as flat out weak teams like the USA were involved to pad numbers.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    I'm about 90% convinced it's a fail attempt at baiting.
    Oh, it was baiting all right. Wasn't a fail, reeled in quite a few fish as can be seen from all the thrashing and flailing from a few people.

Cricket Spectator
    I was very happy with the Idea of changing of Champions trophy into Test championship so we could have champions of all three formats of the game, for me Champions trophy is just waste of money and time because we already have 50 overs WC to decide champion of the format.

Cricketer Of The Year mr_mister's Avatar
    honestbharani you need to drop this narrative regarding Australia's '99 WC campaign

they lost a couple of close games in the first group stage but then dominated the super 6 and the rest is history

dont make it sound like they fluked it
    cricket rules brah

Quote Originally Posted by mr_mister View Post
    honestbharani you need to drop this narrative regarding Australia's '99 WC campaign

they lost a couple of close games in the first group stage but then dominated the super 6 and the rest is history

dont make it sound like they fluked it

How did you get that, from this:

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    I would say that it was the format more than anything that often meant it was more of a "on the day" better team winning it than the world's best. The WC took a lot more time to arrive at their denouements and thus, we always knew who the best side were. And the post 1996 WC editions had a HUGE league stage which meant it was always going to come down to the quality of the side during the semis and the finals. The CT, being a more condensed tourney, I think helps slightly lesser sides spring surprises in the KOs far more frequently than the WC KO stages do.

Cricketer Of The Year mr_mister's Avatar
    tbh I only read your initial post touching on the subject not your later clarification. My apologies hb
    honestbharani likes this.

No worries mate.

FTR, I never thought they "fluked" their way to the WC. I just said they did not look the best side in the tournament going into the business end but ended up winning it.
    Last edited by honestbharani; 19-06-2017 at 08:17 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information