Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Your XIs for each CT Team

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend NUFAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tobe_ornot2 View Post
    I'd play Finch simply because of the ability to hit hard although he has not been the most consistent cricketer around.
    Chris Lynn hits hard too so I would be annoyed if I was Lynn to see someone inconsistent get picked ahead of me on the basis of being able to hit hard.

@moonsorrow Aus could open with Head and bat Lynn in the middle order or perhaps give Lynn full license up top to treat it very similar to a T20 match and hope our long batting order can last 300 balls, this is risky though but if Warner and Smith are in form, it could work. I suppose if they are in fine form Finch could act like its a T20 too.

I am a little concerned with Stoinis at 4 tbh. He is the type of batsman who will be 10* from 24 balls or so in typical number 4 situations, and teams will be able to bowl there spinner/5th bowler at him - of course he did show in NZ that he can make it up. I'm a Stoinis fan but I think he is going to be more useful at 5 or 6 unless we actually do lose some early wickets and we want someone to just stick around during a good spell.

International 12th Man S.Kennedy's Avatar
    Bairstow is currently averaging 53.60 with a strike of 115.51 in the 2017 Royal London One-Day Cup...

...If current form in the same format and same country counts for anything?

(Ben Foakes is at 154.50/104.04 in the same competition by the way!).
    Future Proof

Cricketer Of The Year straw man's Avatar
    NZ XI:
    Tom Latham (wk)
    Martin Guptill
    Kane Williamson (c)
    Ross Taylor
    Neil Broom
    Jimmy Neesham
    Colin de Grandhomme
    Mitchell Santner
    Adam Milne
    Mitchell McClenaghan/ Tim Southee
    Trent Boult

Reserves:
    Corey Anderson
    Luke Ronchi
    Jeetan Patel
    Tim Southee/ Mitchell McClenaghan

Comments:

Best I could do, feels like a bit of a hodge podge and there are a huge number of permutations through that middle order. Squad has lots of bowling and all-rounder options, fewer batting options, so while Broom is not the most proven at 5, I was reluctant to push Neesham to 5 and CDG to 6.

Milne makes the side assuming he's going to be fit and bowling at 145+. If not, he's not much good and misses out. A slower wicket might see Patel come in as the second spinner.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Chris Lynn hits hard too so I would be annoyed if I was Lynn to see someone inconsistent get picked ahead of me on the basis of being able to hit hard.

@moonsorrow Aus could open with Head and bat Lynn in the middle order or perhaps give Lynn full license up top to treat it very similar to a T20 match and hope our long batting order can last 300 balls, this is risky though but if Warner and Smith are in form, it could work. I suppose if they are in fine form Finch could act like its a T20 too.

I am a little concerned with Stoinis at 4 tbh. He is the type of batsman who will be 10* from 24 balls or so in typical number 4 situations, and teams will be able to bowl there spinner/5th bowler at him - of course he did show in NZ that he can make it up. I'm a Stoinis fan but I think he is going to be more useful at 5 or 6 unless we actually do lose some early wickets and we want someone to just stick around during a good spell.
    On what basis are you picking Lynn? His international t20 run is subpar and he only has one ODI. If you are picking him simply based on the IPL then it would be a massive problem because the quality of bowlers he is going to come up against in his group are going to be better. Finch on the other hand has 7 ODI centuries and although his recent form has been off, initially I'd rather go with the experienced man than someone who may or may not do well at the highest level.

Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    NZ XI:
    Tom Latham (wk)
    Martin Guptill
    Kane Williamson (c)
    Ross Taylor
    Neil Broom
    Jimmy Neesham
    Colin de Grandhomme
    Mitchell Santner
    Adam Milne
    Trent Boult

Reserves:
    Corey Anderson
    Luke Ronchi
    Jeetan Patel

Comments:

Best I could do, feels like a bit of a hodge podge and there are a huge number of permutations through that middle order. Squad has lots of bowling and all-rounder options, fewer batting options, so while Broom is not the most proven at 5, I was reluctant to push Neesham to 5 and CDG to 6.

Milne makes the side assuming he's going to be fit and bowling at 145+. If not, he's not much good and misses out. A slower wicket might see Patel come in as the second spinner.
    Yes, I need to look into my NZ side too. Much like you, I feel NZ has a team that can change based on conditions and they haven't had a hugely settled middle/lower order for a while now.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Zinzan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    NZ XI:
    Tom Latham (wk)
    Martin Guptill
    Kane Williamson (c)
    Ross Taylor
    Neil Broom
    Jimmy Neesham
    Colin de Grandhomme
    Mitchell Santner
    Adam Milne
    Trent Boult

Reserves:
    Corey Anderson
    Luke Ronchi
    Jeetan Patel

Comments:

I'd probably prefer Latham than Ronchi, but I'm picking they'll go with Ronchi after how terrible Tommy was with the gloves in the home summer... either way the keeper needs to open.

For me

Latham/Ronchi+
    Guptill
    KW
    Taylor
    Neesham/Broom (Neesham not allowed to bowl)
    Anderson
    de Grandhomme
    Santner
    Patel (on a spinning deck, one of the below if seaming)
    Milne/McClenaghan/Bennett/Southee
    Boult

I really don't give NZ much of chance progressing out of their group with just 3 world class batsmen and 1 world class bowler. Look at other sides in the tournament like Australia, South Africa who have arguably 7-8 world class players.

If NZ lose early wickets, they just don't have the quality down the order to be able to recover.

Quote Originally Posted by tobe_ornot2 View Post
    On what basis are you picking Lynn? His international t20 run is subpar and he only has one ODI. If you are picking him simply based on the IPL then it would be a massive problem because the quality of bowlers he is going to come up against in his group are going to be better. Finch on the other hand has 7 ODI centuries and although his recent form has been off, initially I'd rather go with the experienced man than someone who may or may not do well at the highest level.
    If you look at my initial team Chris Lynn did not make my XI. I'm definitely not judging Lynn purely on IPL no idea why anyone would suggest that?

You previously said "I'd play Finch simply because of the ability to hit hard although he has not been the most consistent cricketer around" so I explained why I thought that was a flawed reason as Chris Lynn is known as a hard hitter too.

I picked Finch but I can understand the selectors logic of playing Lynn ahead of him because that is exactly what they did on Lynn's debut. Lynn of course got injured so he hasn't had another opportunity and Finch hasn't actually featured in a best ODI XI for a while.

International Debutant Shady Slim's Avatar
    while i don't like head's... er, head... i'm fine with him in the team as a pure batsman but smith has a hard on for his ****** bowling and i disagree, maxwell is a better relief spinner who can actually get real wickets and not jammy slogging wickets (all wickets are wickets i suppose but head as a bowler grosses me out)

in terms of bones i have to pick with inevitable selections for teams that aren't australia wayne parnell sucks and i don't think ravi ashwin will do all that brilliantly either
    Shady's XI:
    M Vijay || D Elgar || KS Williamson || LD Chandimal (wk) || Misbah-ul-Haq || F du Plessis || MM Ali || VD Philander || TG Southee || HMRKB Herath || JR Hazlewood

#FeelTheVern

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shady Slim View Post
    i don't think ravi ashwin will do all that brilliantly either
    No reason to not pick him though... I don't think any side today has the luxury of picking 11 players who will all perform brilliantly.

International Debutant Shady Slim's Avatar
    oh he's not going to suck by any means but my shady slim hot take is he isn't going to excel

if india just go in with one spinner and don't pick him and jadeja they're signing their own death warrant though

Banned
    If you look at my initial team Chris Lynn did not make my XI. I'm definitely not judging Lynn purely on IPL no idea why anyone would suggest that?

You previously said "I'd play Finch simply because of the ability to hit hard although he has not been the most consistent cricketer around" so I explained why I thought that was a flawed reason as Chris Lynn is known as a hard hitter too.

I picked Finch but I can understand the selectors logic of playing Lynn ahead of him because that is exactly what they did on Lynn's debut. Lynn of course got injured so he hasn't had another opportunity and Finch hasn't actually featured in a best ODI XI for a while.
    Fair enough. BUt I also mean, Finch hits hard and has proven it at the international level and I feel Lynn being dropped into a major ICC tourney would be risky but hey, try him out against Bangladesh by all means. NO harm in that.

Quote Originally Posted by Shady Slim View Post
    while i don't like head's... er, head... i'm fine with him in the team as a pure batsman but smith has a hard on for his ****** bowling and i disagree, maxwell is a better relief spinner who can actually get real wickets and not jammy slogging wickets (all wickets are wickets i suppose but head as a bowler grosses me out)

in terms of bones i have to pick with inevitable selections for teams that aren't australia wayne parnell sucks and i don't think ravi ashwin will do all that brilliantly either
    Parnell is a pretty good ODI bowler and averages 28, which in this day and age is very good. I have never understood the criticism around him as an ODI player, especially considering he adds depth to the batting. Ashwin on the other hand is far below his test level in ODIs and I just don't think he is good neough for the flat, often turn-less pitches in England and there are other, better options for India at the moment.

Banned
    Is anyone brave enough to pick a SL XI?

Sri Lanka

1. Dickwella
    2. Tharanga
    3. Mendis
    4. Chandimal
    5. Gunaratne
    6. Mathews
    7. Perera/Perera
    8. Kulasekera
    9. Prasanna
    10 Lakmal
    11. Malinga

Unsure which Perera to include - I guess Thisara just in front as you might not want 10 overs from Mathews/Gunaratne.
    tobe_ornot2 likes this.

Banned
    Sri Lanka

1. Dickwella
    2. Tharanga
    3. Mendis
    4. Chandimal
    5. Gunaratne
    6. Mathews
    7. Perera/Perera
    8. Kulasekera
    9. Prasanna
    10 Lakmal
    11. Malinga

Unsure which Perera to include - I guess Thisara just in front as you might not want 10 overs from Mathews/Gunaratne.
    This is probably the worst Sri Lankan side in my lifetime. I can't imagine them winning a game this CT tbh. In terms of thisara, I'd include him, he is better than most of their bowlers...which leads me to wonder why Herath is not in the squad. I know he hasn't played for a while but I'd rate him better than most of the younger spinners coming through the SL system these days.

Cricket Web Staff Member Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Bangladesh

Tamim
    Sarkar
    Mahmudullah
    Mushfiq
    Mosaddeq
    Shakib
    Sabbir
    Mehedi
    Mashrafe
    Taskin
    Mustafizur Rahman
    tobe_ornot2 likes this.
    Cricket's moral worldview:

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."

Banned

Sri Lanka and NZ

I'm going to try my hand at SL:

1. Tharanga
    2. Dickwella (I'm not sure if I'd have him as keeper but he strikes it well up the order)
    3. K. Mendis (whatever happened to the other Mendis? this guy supposedly keeps too but I don't think I've ever seen him)
    4. Matthews c (as captain of an inexperienced team, he needs to take responsibility)
    5. Chandimal wk? (yet another possible keeper and their most experienced)
    6. Gunaratne
    7. Prasanna (bat a bit, bowl a bit)
    8. T. Parrera
    9. Lakmal
    10. Malinga
    11. Sandakan

A team almost entirely made of "bits and pieces" cricketers.

NZ:

1. Guptill
    2. Latham
    3. Williamson c
    4. Taylor
    5. Broom
    6. Ronchi wk
    7. Anderson
    8. De Grandhomme
    9. Southee
    10. McClenaghan
    11. Boult

Latham is a bit iffy so the opening pair is weak, although Guptill is the first name on any team sheet alongside Williamson. One of Southee, Homme or McC can swap out for a spinner if need be. A flexible, at times hard hitting side here. I expect them to do well.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information