• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Champions Trophy 2017

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's a shame. SA's my personal favourite cricket venue for a few years now.

TheJediBrah

I don't know about the no WI decision. Can't help but feel that if they actually had a full strength side they would be genuine challengers.

TheJediBrah

I don't see what the issue is tbh. It's not like it's putting either side at a real disadvantage and if it adds interest and hype surely that's a good thing?

TheJediBrah

Pretty much all the teams besides SL and Australia are somewhere near the best they've been in the last few years, and even then a Starc led Australia is pretty strong. Should be good.
wow you must really rate Australia's potential if you think the comfortably no. 1 team in the world isn't even "somewhere near their best"

I would hate to see how good they'd be at their best

vcs

The decision I'm referring to was the limiting the tournament to 8 teams, if that wasn't clear.
Hasn't it always been that way.. I think they used to play some qualifying games prior to the tournament in previous editions. Vaguely remember Bangladesh and Sri Lanka being involved in qualifying matches in 2006. At some point, they must have changed the criteria to rankings.

TheJediBrah

Hasn't it always been that way.. I think they used to play some qualifying games prior to the tournament in previous editions. Vaguely remember Bangladesh and Sri Lanka being involved in qualifying matches in 2006. At some point, they must have changed the criteria to rankings.
exactly correct

Yeah, it has been 8 teams since 2006.
The "final" tournament has been 8 teams since 2006. This is the first time that there hasn't been a qualifying stage, and hence no opportunity for a team ranked <8 to play any part whatsoever.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
Team ranked 9 had plenty of opportunity to play a part. Just had to have a better ODI record than Bangladesh or Pakistan, which is really not difficult.

TheJediBrah

Honestly think that's disgraceful.
Disgraceful.
haha wtf. :laugh:

Love how the ICC just don't even pretend to be a good organisation. Just publicly admit they are corrupt and just horrendous.
ok someone seriously has to explain to me what the big deal is

Team ranked 9 had plenty of opportunity to play a part. Just had to have a better ODI record than Bangladesh or Pakistan, which is really not difficult.
I don't get what point you're trying to make

Daemon

wow you must really rate Australia's potential if you think the comfortably no. 1 team in the world isn't even "somewhere near their best"

I would hate to see how good they'd be at their best
Nah, it's not about potential. What I meant when I said "somewhere near the best they've been in the last few years" was that the current Australian team isn't as strong as it was a few seasons ago imo.

Was a bit of a lazy assessment on my part, only Watson and Clarke aren't around now while Haze and Hastings are doing alright. Not that much different really in terms of personnel.