• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Help

Jakester1288

International Regular
So I have tried playing Battrick a few times, and gave up.

I have just registered again. I have started and bought a few seats for my stadium and am bidding on a young gun batsmen. I just ran with the order it put in for me for the first week.

Can you help and advise me on what to actually do? Also how do I play matches? Just wait?

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
It's a pretty overwhelming game when you're just starting.

What to do? Well, read the rules, if you haven't already. Then, the BT Beginners' Guide (Help...Beginners Guide) is absolutely essential. There's a good one here too.

After reading the guides, join the "Newbie Questions" sledging board. Instructions should be found in the BT Beginners' Guide somewhere. This board will cover a lot of the questions you might have.

You've joined (again) at the perfect time -- you didn't have any matches listed because it was the off-season. You should have your leagues assigned and matches drawn up by now.

So, once you've read the guides, you should take a good hard look at your squad, dividing them into:

• Trainees -- 17/18yos who are worth training.
• Players to keep -- those who have some skills, and are therefore worthy of a place in your 1st XI.
• Players to sell -- some players can be deceptive, e.g. a Proficient bowler with Abysmal consistency is no use to anybody...but you might be able to get some money for him from some mug who's not read the newbie guides!
• Players to fire -- get rid of the dead wood.

Only once you've done that should you think about your training regime. Bear in mind that Competent/Competent trainees are adequate for starter teams, and they still go pretty cheap.

BTW, one flaw of this BT forum is that a lot of us have been playing the game some time now, and the initial excitement has worn off. It's all slowed down a bit. There's not much patience for "dumb questions", if you see what I mean -- if you just post your whole squad with a message like "sort me out please", you're not going to get anywhere (unless I'm having a particularly boring day at the office). If you show that you've been trying to work it out for yourself, you'll get a much warmer reception!

One last tip -- it might not be a good idea for you to buy trainees just yet, as prices are always very high at the start of the season. You may well be able to get 17/18yos for half the price in just a few weeks' time. On the other hand, this is a good time to sell.

Good luck!

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Pull for Sri Lanka, give them 10 nets and train for NTs. That all you need to know about BT. Pretty sure that what Mahindinho was saying in short.

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
Ha! Yeah, what he says ^ ^ ^ ;)

You know, I'm not sure that I've ever pulled a decent Lankan. Probably all one big conspiracy.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Are really bad players like below who are young worth putting them in the nets or is it a waste of time?

Jacob is a RH Batsman and RF Bowler. He is a defensive player with respectable leadership skills and useless experience.

He currently has proficient batting form, proficient bowling form and energetic fitness.
Plays For: Killers CC
Nationality: Australia
Battrick Rating: 2,904
Wages: £345 p/w
Stamina: feeble Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: woeful Concentration: competent
Bowling: feeble Consistency: abysmal
Fielding: woeful

Jakester1288

International Regular
Ok I just did a cleanout of my crap players except for a couple of crap youngsters who I am waiting for an opinion of what to do with them.

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
Are really bad players like below who are young worth putting them in the nets or is it a waste of time?
The latter. You should be able to pick up a 17yo Competent/Mediocre (as in, Comp batting/bowling and Mediocre conc/cons) for not a lot -- I've seen my youth pulls, at roughly that level, go for £20k or below. Don't bother with anyone who hasn't got at least Woeful stamina -- it'd take far too long to train their stamina up to a usable level.

Spend a fair bit of time choosing your trainees, and you will be rewarded later. As I said, now's probably not a good time to buy youngsters -- wait a couple of weeks and the prices of 17yos should come down a lot. It'd give you a bit of time to get a feel for the market, anyway.

How much cash have you got?

Last edited:

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
£75,000 at the moment but at next update it's projected to be £-4,185.
Bugger. Please don't tell me that you've spent all your money building up your stadium!

Actually, how's the new starter money structured nowadays? You used to get a lump sum, but I'm sure I heard something about it being staggered now. That would come in rather handy.

Well, I suppose you're just going to have to wait a few weeks, and hopefully turn a small profit. Or you could go into a bit of debt -- as long as you're turning a fortnightly profit, £100k (or whatever it is in AUS$) shouldn't be a problem.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Bugger. Please don't tell me that you've spent all your money building up your stadium!

Actually, how's the new starter money structured nowadays? You used to get a lump sum, but I'm sure I heard something about it being staggered now. That would come in rather handy.

Well, I suppose you're just going to have to wait a few weeks, and hopefully turn a small profit. Or you could go into a bit of debt -- as long as you're turning a fortnightly profit, £100k (or whatever it is in AUS$) shouldn't be a problem.
Haha, yeah, oops.

I think I just got £75000 or something to start, then I get the profits and losses and everything as I go along.

kingdamo

School Boy/Girl Captain
Pretty sure they get $50k every finance update these days, handed to them on a platter :p.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Is a player like below worth doing anything with? Now I bought a 20 year old keeper who is a better keeper but they are both the same with the bat, what should I do? Will he sell or should I fire him, or just keep him?

Philip Cleaver - 30 yo, BT Rating=4,003
RH Batsman, RH Spin Bowler. He is a destructive player with competent leadership skills and abysmal experience.
He currently has proficient batting form, respectable bowling form and energetic fitness.
Stamina: mediocre Wicket Keeping: mediocre
Batting: feeble Concentration: feeble
Bowling: woeful Consistency: feeble
Fielding: feeble

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I have this guy if you want him.

40.Chandra Buultjens - 19 yo, BT Rating=3,735
LH Batsman, LFM Bowler. He is a steady player with proficient leadership skills and abysmal experience.
He currently has worthless batting form, respectable bowling form and sublime fitness.
Stamina: mediocre Wicket Keeping: competent
Batting: mediocre Concentration: mediocre
Bowling: worthless Consistency: worthless
Fielding: worthless

Jakester1288

International Regular
I have this guy if you want him.

40.Chandra Buultjens - 19 yo, BT Rating=3,735
LH Batsman, LFM Bowler. He is a steady player with proficient leadership skills and abysmal experience.
He currently has worthless batting form, respectable bowling form and sublime fitness.
Stamina: mediocre Wicket Keeping: competent
Batting: mediocre Concentration: mediocre
Bowling: worthless Consistency: worthless
Fielding: worthless
How much?

I could do with a keeper who can bat and is young.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Are players like this that I get from my youth pulls any good?

Kyle Waters - 17 yo, BT Rating=4,114
RH Batsman, RM Bowler. He is an attacking player with competent leadership skills and abysmal experience.
He currently has respectable batting form, respectable bowling form and fresh fitness.
Stamina: feeble Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: worthless Concentration: feeble
Bowling: mediocre Consistency: competent
Fielding: feeble

I had a guy who was Competent in bowling, now I get this dude. I've got him in the nets, but is he worth it? Only young.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
You can find mid-to-old competent-to-respectable players for under 10k everywhere.

Trainee-wise, 17yo med/comps are everywhere again for around 5k.