• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Archived [18/10/06] : Battrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Adamc said:
In terms of bowling figures he is, in terms of raw stats there's not that much of a gap now. Last season my bowling attack consisted of Gillespie and a bunch of rubbishy competents, but it's improved a fair bit since then.
Ah right.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tom Halsey said:
Cheers. Yeah I've only got 2, but I don't think I'll buy any more after hearing that.

EDIT: I suppose I should probably decide my batting order on stamina (combined with style as well because it would always be better to have destructive batsmen coming in towards the end on very aggressive).
You probably don't need destructive batsmen on very aggressive, the destructive element means they're massively attacking anyway before orders take any affect. Callery who hit 68* off 42 against you was only on attacking and still hit the start of the 40th over for 4, 4, 6. Ideally destructive batsmen should come in at about the 30 over mark I reckon, 30-39 overs are often fairly quiet in Battrick.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
well my bowling attack consists of mainly rubbishy competents don't you know Adam!
(bowling/consistency/stamina)

Keane (respectable//mediocre/mediocre)
Islam (competent/strong/mediocre)
Stack (competent/feeble/mediocre)
Wilmott (competent/feeble/woeful) or Macauley(competent/feeble/woeful)
Atkins(mediocre/proficient/competent)

Scaly piscine

Adamc said:
In terms of bowling figures he is, in terms of raw stats there's not that much of a gap now. Last season my bowling attack consisted of Gillespie and a bunch of rubbishy competents, but it's improved a fair bit since then.
Sounds familiar...

Emmanuel = strong

very recent YP Cahalane = respectable

Maxwell, Cooper, Street, Howlett, Wilkinson, Tedstone = competent

Dillon = (high) mediocre

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
You probably don't need destructive batsmen on very aggressive, the destructive element means they're massively attacking anyway before orders take any affect. Callery who hit 68* off 42 against you was only on attacking and still hit the start of the 40th over for 4, 4, 6. Ideally destructive batsmen should come in at about the 30 over mark I reckon, 30-39 overs are often fairly quiet in Battrick.
I am pretty rubbish though :p - cheers for that anyway. I might put defensive players on very attacking to even it out somewhat.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
superkingdave said:
well my bowling attack consists of mainly rubbishy competents don't you know Adam!
(bowling/consistency/stamina)

Keane (respectable//mediocre/mediocre)
Islam (competent/strong/mediocre)
Stack (competent/feeble/mediocre)
Wilmott (competent/feeble/woeful) or Macauley(competent/feeble/woeful)
Atkins(mediocre/proficient/competent)
Those guys are pretty well-rounded though, this is what I mean by rubbishy competent:

Reon Berry - 23 yo, BT Rating=10,788
LH Batsman, LF Bowler, superb form, sublime
(superb batting form, strong bowling form)
A cautious player with strong leadership skills and abysmal experience.
Stamina: feeble Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: strong Concentration: woeful
Bowling: competent Consistency: worthless
Fielding: mediocre

I used to use him as an allrounder before I realised that he doesn't know how to bowl. He took wickets fairly regularly but went for 5.73 an over, now I just use him as a batsman and will probably sell him at some point next season (Malik will take over the captaincy).

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Two pops today, I think:

Dwight Tuck - 19 yo, BT Rating=18,213
RH Batsman, RFM Bowler, superb form, invigorated
(superb batting form, superb bowling form)
A steady player with worthless leadership skills and worthless experience.
Stamina: mediocre Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: abysmal Concentration: woeful
Bowling: strong Consistency: superb
Fielding: mediocre

Glenn Harris - 19 yo, BT Rating=7,080
RH Batsman, RM Bowler, strong form, invigorated
(respectable batting form, superb bowling form)
A destructive player with mediocre leadership skills and abysmal experience.
Stamina: feeble Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: feeble Concentration: abysmal
Bowling: proficient Consistency: competent
Fielding: woeful

Looks like I won't have to worry about my bowling attack for next season, although Harris could do with a couple of stamina pops.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Scaly piscine said:
Sounds familiar...

Emmanuel = strong

very recent YP Cahalane = respectable

Maxwell, Cooper, Street, Howlett, Wilkinson, Tedstone = competent

Dillon = (high) mediocre
I got away with using Gillespie + 4 competents in season 1, but it was getting increasingly difficult to get away with it (e.g., in one match I scored 354 and ended up winning by 1 run) so I bit the bullet and bought Male for 147k, which in retrospect was a decent buy considering he was around mid-proficient when I got him. Badley was a competent/abysmal/abysmal YP in season one, it's taken a lot of training to get him half-decent. Pollock was my best YP, high-respectable when I got him and with good fielding to boot, would train him a bit more if Badley didn't need so much work.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Well, to stay in fashion, my attack in (bowling/consistency/stamina) format.

Hines (respectable/feeble/competent)
Naidoo (respectable/woeful/woeful) (Naidoo's bowling just popped, he's one of the 19 year olds I bought)
Clayton (competent/woeful/abysmal)
Grady (mediocre/woeful/feeble)
Ndebele (woeful/mediocre/mediocre)

Is that ok considering I only signed up a few days ago? Need to work on secondaries...

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Tom Halsey said:
Well, to stay in fashion, my attack in (bowling/consistency/stamina) format.

Hines (respectable/feeble/competent)
Naidoo (respectable/woeful/woeful) (Naidoo's bowling just popped, he's one of the 19 year olds I bought)
Clayton (competent/woeful/abysmal)
Grady (mediocre/woeful/feeble)
Ndebele (woeful/mediocre/mediocre)

Is that ok considering I only signed up a few days ago? Need to work on secondaries...
That's not bad to start with, you can pick up a better bowler than Ndebele on the transfer market for 1k (the minimum bid) though, Clayton and Grady should be easy to replace as well.

Scaly piscine

Heh I had Naidoo on my shortlist (knew he was almost sure to pop straight away) a few days ago. I'd get rid of that woeful definitely...

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Adamc said:
That's not bad to start with, you can pick up a better bowler than Ndebele on the transfer market for 1k (the minimum bid) though, Clayton and Grady should be easy to replace as well.
Might do, I'm a bit strapped for cash because I made a big mess up on the buy coaches bit, and ended up with about 15 batting cpaches at one point (pressed hire and not fire by mistake), so that's screwed up my finances for a while. Will look around though.

EDIT: Just found a couple, but the deadline's not until tomorrow...

Last edited:

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Tom Halsey said:
Might do, I'm a bit strapped for cash because I made a big mess up on the buy coaches bit, and ended up with about 15 batting cpaches at one point (pressed hire and not fire by mistake), so that's screwed up my finances for a while. Will look around though.

EDIT: Just found a couple, but the deadline's not until tomorrow...
Ah, whoops. That's up there with Robertinho buying 1,000-odd members seats for expensive mistakes. :p You don't have to replace Clayton and Grady straight away (Grady's 18 so you could train him I guess) but definitely replace Ndebele ASAP.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Adamc said:
Ah, whoops. That's up there with Robertinho buying 1,000-odd members seats for expensive mistakes. :p You don't have to replace Clayton and Grady straight away (Grady's 18 so you could train him I guess) but definitely replace Ndebele ASAP.

:laugh:

Yeah Grady's getting a couple of bowling slots per week, also got some psychologists, and fielding sessions too.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
in fact theres a mediocre/mediocre/mediocre on their now for 1,000 he's 24 but he be better than Ndebele until you get more money or a yp

Scaly piscine

Should be able to find some reasonably solid competents for around 20k (age doesn't matter too much unless they're 17. 19-28 they'll be surplus to requirements in 1-2 seasons anyway and not worth training at that skill level). I'd also avoid using the default bowling orders because they have one bowler who bowls 10 straight, which really has to be a medium or spin bowler with pretty good stamina or they'll get murdered at some point.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
or this guy -http://www.battrick.org/nl/playerDetails.asp?playerID=374144, not great but again you could pick him up for 1,000 probably

Tom Halsey

International Coach
superkingdave said:
in fact theres a mediocre/mediocre/mediocre on their now for 1,000 he's 24 but he be better than Ndebele until you get more money or a yp
Well I don't want a trainable guy anyway atm because I wouldn't have space to train him. Might have a look.

EDIT: Yeah I saw him, forgot to note him on my notepad shortlist. Might have an attempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.