• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2019-2020

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Burns deserved to be picked ahead of Labuschagne at least. And Mitch Marsh. Those 2 are the ones who really don't deserve it.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is this the first time in history that two incumbent Test bats that scored a century in their last Test were dropped....Burns and K'Pat we remember you :(
Wait, they picked 9 batsmen, but K'Pat and Burns aren't good enough...
Yeah this squad is almost as bull**** as it could possibly be. Dropping two incumbents who are coming off a test century is ridiculous. Not even dropping them from the side butt the entire squad.

And then picking useless ****s like Mitchell Marsh and Cameron Bancroft. The former continuously puts his hand up for selection and flops on the big stage, the second who did exactly the same thing and managed to take down the Australian captain and vice captain in the process.

The thinking around the national setup is so mixed up, short sighted and nervy it's no wonder we're underperforming as a side. When half the batting line-up are dropped from the test squad after scoring hundreds because a guy shows a small but of county form you get these ridiculous situations where we end up churning and burning our players.

I don't even think he's much good but I sure as hell hope Harris plays over Bancroft.

And don't even get me started on Siddle over Bird. Ridiculous.

Salvaging the squad XI:

Harris
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Head
Wade
Paine
Pattinson
Cummins
Hazelwood
Lyon

stephen

Expected XI:

Bancroft
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Head
Marsh
Paine
Pattinson
Cummins
Starc
Lyon

stephen

M8, pay close attention here for a moment. That was not a sarcastic comment. I thought the fact that I "liked" your post before hand would have made that obvious. I was a big fan of your attitude at first and having a go at the poms was hilarious, but now you're just coming across as being a bit unstable and having a victim complex.
Who knew he was a kiwi?

Burgey

Good to see they found room in the squad for both Siddle and his massive Aorta. #GreatAustralian.

MMarsh again. Fmd. It’s like when you’ve tried to jump start your car 85 times but you think you’ll give it one more crack before you decide to replace the battery. A selection which is the epitome of stupidity.

Starfighter

Harris is redundant, will do no better than Bancroft while not being as versatile as Burns, Siddle is bull**** and symptomatic of the 'pick-and-stick' theory's ultimate conclusion, that you keep recycling has-beens and failures because you never tried anyone else to see how they went (plus Bird was just... better) but Mitchell Marsh is the most bull**** of all. 31 tests for a batting average of 25, a bowling average of 44 (with endless breakdowns). FMD, the only top ten sides he'd get into as an allrounder or batsman are Sri Lanka (maybe) and Zimbabwe.

stephen

Assuming they're picking Neser as an all rounder and not a bowler.

Marsh is the worst selection of the lot. He's completely superfluous to our needs. Our weakness is batting, not bowling and he can't strengthen that unless he bats at 8 and bowls 25 overs a day (not going to happen).

Siddle over Bird is bad but not disastrous. At least Siddle will at worst be a change bowler. Feel for Bird who is easily test quality.

Wade over Carey as backup keeper is fine. Hopefully he'll never be needed.

Can't believe they sent Patterson and Burns home. Utterly unbelievable that they're going but proven test failures Harris, Bancroft and Labaschagne are still there. Handscomb can rightly feel annoyed that he's not there ahead of them, given he's a better batsman when playing for Victoria than Harris.

trundler

Just all round terrible to drop Burns and Patterson. Neser and Marsh are ****ing pointless selections.

Spikey

big fan of not picking marsh for the squad he should have been in and picking marsh for the squad he shouldn't be in

dont see the point in picking both bancroft and harris. in my mind, you pick whoever you think is better and you're sticking with him for the series. if an injury happens, call the other one. if the injury happens on the morning of the match, oh well usman opens big deal.

am i supposed to believe they aren't a handful of bowlers better than Neser

trundler

They absolutely don't need 6 bowlers and ****ing Marsh. Just Labu would've done in place of both Neser and Marsh if they really wanted an 'all rounder'.

stephen

They didn't even need to pick Labaschagne or Bancroft if they're not starters since both had county contracts and could be called up at short notice.

Harris is on a sightseeing tour.

TheJediBrah

Handscomb can rightly feel annoyed that he's not there ahead of them, given he's a better batsman when playing for Victoria than Harris.
Harris averaged 70 in the most recent Shield season compared to Handscomb averaging 45

(Burns averaged 38)

Spark

Global Moderator
How Bird didn't get in over Neser I won't ever understand. Siddle I don't have a problem with.

The less said about the batting the better.

Backtobasics8

Cricket Spectator
This squad isn’t actually too bad.

Omissions of Patterson, Burns and Bird are contentious but defensible. Burns is coming off a major health issue and there are question marks over how his technique would hold us against Anderson et al in seaming conditions. I rate Patterson, has it in him to be a long term test player averaging 40+, but he’s barely been able to buy a run on this tour at a time when Smith/Warner are returning and other fringe players were scoring well. He’ll be back, but it would have been a real leap of faith to chuck him into the top 6 at Edgebaston notwithstanding the hundred in Canberra.

Bird is a better all round bowler than Siddle (at least now, since Siddle lost a few yards around 2013/14) but his record in the UK is disappointing. Siddle is doing the job for Essex, has been on three previous Ashes tours and you could bank on him doing a serviceable job as a third seamer in seam-friendly conditions.

Bancroft is in the runs at the right time and the management clearly rate his temperament. His numbers for Durham don’t look amazing at first glance, but his home conditions there are very seamer-friendly. Just hope he’s ironed it his technical issues during the hiatus.

I think the only really questionable selections are Marsh and Nesser. Marsh is not good enough to bat in the top 6 in typical English conditions, and you wouldn’t want him at 7 if it means pushing Paine into the top 6. And he’s clearly not a good enough bowler to form part of a 4 man attack - he doesn’t fit into the side without making it unbalanced.

Nesser was presumably picked over Bird and Tremain due to his batting, but he’s only ever going to be a number 8 at test level. Not sure that his extra batting ability at 8 is needed given at least two of Cummins, Pattinson and Starc are likely to feature.