• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the 2019 Ashes

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
None of the three incumbent fast bowlers deserve to be dropped, but Pattinson is such a phenomenal bowler that to ignore him would be foolish. Agree that he is unlikely to be able to get through all 5 tests with his injury history, 3 or 4 tests would be enough for him to make a massive impact though. Some rotation will be inevitable but the idea that Starc or Haze should be tossed aside completely is just stupid
The three incumbent test bowlers include Jhye Richardson who seems to be missing the Ashes with his injury. Someone has to come into the side to replace him. Pattinson is the best bowler so should replace him if fit.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought Richardson was going to be fit for the Ashes. Shame if he isn't, kid can bowl.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Last I heard Jhye was still a fair way off bowling at 100%, if he was fit then he would absolutely be in the reckoning for the first test

aussie tragic

International Captain
Averages wise, Australia could have a pretty good batting line up for the first test.

Warner - 48.20
Burns - 40.10
Khawaja - 42.53
Smith - 61.37
Head - 51.00
Patterson - 144.00
Paine - 35.14
Pattinson - 27.66
Cummins - 20.30
Starc - 21.85
Lyon - 11.98

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
Averages wise, Australia could have a pretty good batting line up for the first test.

Warner - 48.20
Burns - 40.10
Khawaja - 42.53
Smith - 61.37
Head - 51.00
Patterson - 144.00
Paine - 35.14
Pattinson - 27.66
Cummins - 20.30
Starc - 21.85
Lyon - 11.98
Except with a double fail in the current Australia A match it is looking more likely Harris will be preferred to Burns.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Didn't he literally score a hundred in his most recent game?
Yep, Burns made 133 to go with his 180 in his last test innings, but hey, why not put Harris who played 6 tests for HS of 79 and average of 32 in ahead of him :)

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
Except with a double fail in the current Australia A match it is looking more likely Harris will be preferred to Burns.
I consider Harris out for 34 and 50 is more of a concern as he should of pushed on in at least one of those innings (since he has constantly failed to convert starts in his 6 Test career to date)

Last edited:

morgieb

I consider Harris out for 34 and 50 is more of a concern as he should of pushed on in at least one of those innings (since he has constantly failed to convert starts in his 6 Test career to date)
Didn't he score a hundred in the first match?

aussie tragic

International Captain
Concussion subs set to be used for the first time in this series in test cricket
Hardly seems fair as Hohns indicated Australia are taking only 1 spare batsman, while England can call on as many as they like ;)

Reason right there to increase squad to 17

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
That is true, when I wrote the post Harris was still not out and seemingly going strong. I do not know who is going to be preferred for the first test or even if Khawaja might open. I think both of the could have a decent test series but neither of them are likely to have huge series.

Burgey

Warner - 48.20
Burns - 40.10
Khawaja - 42.53
Smith - 61.37
Head - 51.00
Patterson - 144.00
Paine - 35.14
Pattinson - 27.66
Cummins - 20.30
Starc - 21.85
Lyon - 11.98
Word is Khawaja will struggle to be fit for the first test.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Wondering if the desire to play Pattinson is gonna lead to the inevitable call up of Mitch Marsh?

TheJediBrah

Yep, Burns made 133 to go with his 180 in his last test innings, but hey, why not put Harris who played 6 tests for HS of 79 and average of 32 in ahead of him :)
Maybe the likelihood of Burns being about as useful as Chris Martin (the singer, not the cricketer) with the bat against Broad and Anderson with the new pill would lend itself to Marcus Harris being a preferred pick

The question should be whether he deserves to be dropped shouldn't it?
absolutely not. I haven't seen him bowl recently but hypothetically if a player had a lengthy absence due to injury and isn't anywhere close to being good enough to play surely you don't think they should be picked just because they're the incumbent?

Last edited:

Burgey

Yeah but you've just made a post suggesting Marcus Harris is a decent option against the moving ball. I mean, come on.

TheJediBrah

Yeah but you've just made a post suggesting Marcus Harris is a decent option against the moving ball. I mean, come on.
Actually not so much "decent option" as "better than Burns", there's a difference.

At this stage I would go Warner/Bancroft. That's an opening pair that I could really see taking the shine off the new ball . . . with their bats of course

Last edited:

Burgey

At the end of the day it probably won't matter all that much because it looks like England might play Jason Roy as one of their openers, so that'll be even funnier than our blokes spudding it up.