• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Was Australia's Sledging Too Much?

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
'If the ICC don't stop all the chatter that's going on, something personal will be said at the wrong time and you will have fisticuffs.....and who knows what might happen? Particularly if a guy has a bat in his hand.'
Maybe something like this???

DKL.jpg

No offense mate but both you, Patrick Collins and Ian Chappell need to realise that this is nothing new.........but I'm sure Mr Chappell at least already knows that.

Wont be very often at all you will see me jump to the defense of our colonial cousins but I feel very strongly that Michael Clarke has been well and truly boned in this instance. What he said is nothing that doesn't get said all the time on a cricket pitch and nothing that Jimmy or Broad wouldn't have said to him (or worse) in the past. I hope that channel 9 offered to pay Clarkes 20% match fee fine as they are the only people blame here.

Edit:

I find Chappells comments incredible considering he played alongside some of the greatest sledgers in cricketing history.

Last edited:

wiff

First Class Debutant
(Ian Chappell)-and who knows what might happen? Particularly if a guy has a bat in his hand.'
Just imagine what would happen if a guy has a stump in his hand? Also that spray Swanny puts on his fingers, imagine if that is sprayed in someone's eyes?

mullarkey

School Boy/Girl Captain
Maybe something like this???

View attachment 20944

No offense mate but both you, Patrick Collins and Ian Chappell need to realise that this is nothing new.........but I'm sure Mr Chappell at least already knows that.

Wont be very often at all you will see me jump to the defense of our colonial cousins but I feel very strongly that Michael Clarke has been well and truly boned in this instance. What he said is nothing that doesn't get said all the time on a cricket pitch and nothing that Jimmy or Broad wouldn't have said to him (or worse) in the past. I hope that channel 9 offered to pay Clarkes 20% match fee fine as they are the only people blame here.

Edit:

I find Chappells comments incredible considering he played alongside some of the greatest sledgers in cricketing history.
no offence taken, I have no sympathy with Clarke he deserved to fined, the argument that his only crime was that Channel 9 didn't switch of the mic is quite pathetic and don't forget players blessed with the talent of Clarke have done very nicely thank you because of the money pumped into the game by these broadcasters. Ian Chappell is a hypocrite then? There is a difference between 'What does Brian Lara's c...taste like' and 'Jeez here comes Groucho Marx'.

wiff

First Class Debutant
In other news: Victorian paceman Clint McKay fined for 'audible obscenity' during a Shield match.
If a cricketer is audible during a shield match and no one is around to hear it, do they make a sound?

Spark

Global Moderator
no offence taken, I have no sympathy with Clarke he deserved to fined, the argument that his only crime was that Channel 9 didn't switch of the mic is quite pathetic and don't forget players blessed with the talent of Clarke have done very nicely thank you because of the money pumped into the game by these broadcasters. Ian Chappell is a hypocrite then? There is a difference between 'What does Brian Lara's c...taste like' and 'Jeez here comes Groucho Marx'.
"Clarke deserved to be fined because he's rich!"

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In other news: Victorian paceman Clint McKay fined for 'audible obscenity' during a Shield match.
If a cricketer is audible during a shield match and no one is around to hear it, do they make a sound?

lol 'paceman' .

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Was Australia's sledging too much?

Yep... for England!

Took me 220+ replies but I got there!

howardj

International Coach
The whole "broken ****ing arm" comment didn't worry me too much. What was really poor in my opinion was the length of the exchanges between Anderson and Clarke. They were really prolonged - going at each other face to face for at least 1 minute several times. A really poor look for the game, and something that the umpires should have nipped in the bud.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Was probably heard over the live stream on the CA website.

Mark68

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Jimmeh has been sledging for years so for him to complain to the umpires was absolutely pathetic in my book

Clarke actually went up in my eyes because he stepped in on behalf of his players

Long may it continue
Jimmy wasn't complaining about what was being said but rather the chirping that was going on when the bowler actually delivered the ball. Now that isn't acceptable. The village idiot Bailey talking as Johnson bowled. You play cricket hard but you don't do that.

Debris

International 12th Man
Jimmy wasn't complaining about what was being said but rather the chirping that was going on when the bowler actually delivered the ball. Now that isn't acceptable. The village idiot Bailey talking as Johnson bowled. You play cricket hard but you don't do that.
Solution to that is pretty easy. Just stop the bowler if any player is talking as he runs in. The bowler will fix that problem for you.

91Jmay

International Coach
Solution to that is pretty easy. Just stop the bowler if any player is talking as he runs in. The bowler will fix that problem for you.
Like Johnson did when a kid was climbing on the screen behind the bowlers arm, by throwing the ball at KP.