• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Does anyone think Australia's situation is not actually that dire?

cameronryan123

Cricket Spectator
Yeah it is a contradiction for sure. I guess you see upside in our batsman but don't see any upside in our spinners, which I guess is fair enough as we don't have a world class spinner. Someone like Katich isn't going to come into the team with Clarke still there. What would be your lineup?
Yeah mate thats a perfect way of putting it. Lyon is and always will be a just a solid spinner at best. And by solid, I mean I can go around local comps and see bowlers just as good. I can't go around local comps and see bowlers as good as harris, pattinson, etc. Batting is a huge worry, there's no doubting it. I know some people think I am crazy for saying this but the batters who must be there are warner, watson, hughes, clarke and khawaja. Other two batting spots up for grabs between experienced players in the mould of katich, d hussey, jacques, rogers, etc. Play haddin at 8 and with the pace attack of siddle, bird, and harris. Watson has to be there so he can be our 4th bowler.

the big bambino

International Captain
Have to agree. Lyon is our best spinner post Warne/McGill. Not much quality but plenty have been tried. Its ridiculing him to say the likes of Warner could do just as good a job.

I wouldn't play 7 batsmen. Its a ploy that never seems to work. The side can get out just as quickly and this time we only have 3 bowlers to share the workload.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
The side can get out just as quickly and this time we only have 3 bowlers to share the workload.
Especially crazy when one of those 3 bowlers is Harris...........terrible idea cameron. And if you asked Warner or Katitch or any other part time spinner to bowl 20 - 30 overs in an innings you'd quickly realise just how far behind Lyon they actually are.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
He is young and sees a better future as a pro there it seems. I think the bit about how contracts were changed in Australia to favor BB players is important. Even Arthur criticized what they did.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hilarious how perception changes. Now what are considered prudent reasons to play in England ("You play more FC cricket in England....stable employment.....opportunity to play long innings") was exactly what people here used to beat blokes over the head with ("16 games is too many; will dull your skills/hunger.......if it's like a job, you produce soft cricketers......so what if you scored a FC triple, soft runs don't count")

Last edited:

cameronryan123

Cricket Spectator
okay guys quick question - why bother wasting a position on a spinner if none of them are any good? and yeah lyon was playing locally just a couple of years ago at the age of 23.. were picking spinners with only a few fc games, so how is there a difference between a guy with 3 or so fc games to his name and another with none?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
okay guys quick question - why bother wasting a position on a spinner if none of them are any good? and yeah lyon was playing locally just a couple of years ago at the age of 23.. were picking spinners with only a few fc games, so how is there a difference between a guy with 3 or so fc games to his name and another with none?
Lyon took 7/94 last Test match. Have you heard that the next Test match ground favours spin? The fourth Test is more likely to favour the seamers so maybe ask the question before it starts instead.

cameronryan123

Cricket Spectator
He averaged 38 with the ball in the series and thats strongly changed by that one innings, without it he would've averaged 70. Not great stats at a spinners paradise. Look how well ashwin and jadeja went compared to him.

cameronryan123

Cricket Spectator
Lyon took 7/94 last Test match. Have you heard that the next Test match ground favours spin? The fourth Test is more likely to favour the seamers so maybe ask the question before it starts instead.
I'm not saying don't pick him for this exact test, but generally I wouldn't play a spinner unless conditions warranted it.

Backlash

School Boy/Girl Captain
And all of this matters. We know that Australia won't be ordinary for long. That's one of cricket's truths. Since Warwick Armstrong popularised what has become the stereotype of Australia beyond its borders, Australia have never been a bad team for a sustained period. They will recover from this; I'm sure they'll find a way.
It's funny, some people seem to think if they keep saying this that it will somehow magically become true all by itself. They seem to think nothing ever changes. Like Cricket is somehow always guaranteed to always have Australia.