Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The last Ashes without referrals – a running tally of umpiring errors

On the matter of consistent umpiring performance, it may be time to reconsider the current rules that do not allow the top umpires to officiate in tests involving their home nation.

If one considers the past couple of years, I would have preferred umpires such as Taufel and Benson to have been involved in the current Ashes series.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Nah, it's well-known indeed that Bowden is too pally with many of the Australians and is thus reluctant to give many of them out very regular.

Was acknowledged for the first time back in 2004, 2005-ish IIRR.
    That's certainly not the view Australia take on him tbh.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by frey View Post
    On the matter of consistent umpiring performance, it may be time to reconsider the current rules that do not allow the top umpires to officiate in tests involving their home nation.

If one considers the past couple of years, I would have preferred umpires such as Taufel and Benson to have been involved in the current Ashes series.
    Taufel, yes. Benson, not so sure - as an England fan I've not seen him umpire much, but IIRC he was involved, alongside Steve Bucknor, in that hideous umpiring car crash that was India v Australia (I seem to remember him giving Ponting not out down the leg side off Ganguly).

Anyway another aspect of this is that good umpires are deterred from applying to join the Elite Panel because the work involves so much travelling away from home.

Given the scrutiny of umpiring decisions these days, I think that the idea of "overseas" umpires has been, on balance, a good one. It's helped to keep the degree of bad feeling to a minimum. However with the introduction of referrals I think the pressure will be off the umpires a bit, and we'll see a return to the days of one "home" and one "overseas" umpire.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Taufel, yes. Benson, not so sure - as an England fan I've not seen him umpire much, but IIRC he was involved, alongside Steve Bucknor, in that hideous umpiring car crash that was India v Australia (I seem to remember him giving Ponting not out down the leg side off Ganguly).
    Mark Benson's a poor Umpire IMO - he made more bad decisions than Bucknor in that match (Bucknor's mistake was the most crucial though, because Symonds' let-off proved most important to the match) and it was an accident waiting to happen, because I've never seen him have a particularly good game.

There's at least 3 better Umpires in this country for mine - Peter Willey, still; Jeremy Lloyds; and Nigel Llong as well.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Last I checked "Australia" wasn't one person TBH. I've heard several Australians comment along those lines - ask CW's own howardj, for one:
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    I think Billy Bowden likes to be liked by the Aussie players. For instance, his hugging of Steve Waugh and posing with him for photographs after his Sydney swansong last year, was the most cringeworthy display from an umpire ever. Subconsciously I think his desire to be liked by the Aussie players has a bearing on his umpiring.
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    Bloody Bowden should never be allowed near an Australian match, let alone an Ashes Test. He is so sycophantic towards the Aussies. He just loves to be loved by the Aussies. Who will ever forget his absolutely pathetic show of affection towards Steve Waugh in his farewell test in Sydney in 2004? Billy had to let Steve know just how much he cared by giving Steve a hug; by having his photo taken with Steve etc etc. It was embarrassing.
    Heard more than a few Kiwi disaffectionate voices that way too.

TBF, though, it's been far less obvious in the last few years than it was around the 2003-2004-2005 mark. Possibly that's because I've only seen him Umpire about 3 games involving Australia in that time, but possibly it's because he's gotten over his little foibles.

BTW I've barely tallied for this match, given I barely watched... (!)... so can someone give me a list of the errors?
    Someone....................... anyone?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Someone....................... anyone?
    There were 26 errors in the 4th test, all in England's favour.

Nine of them were not outs in the first innings, meaning they really should have been all out for three.

When we batted, 10 of our dismissals weren't out, so we could still be batting now.

Then in England's second innings, there were another 7 blatant outs that weren't given.

Whole thing should have been over before stumps day one.

At least, that's how I saw it.....
    GIMH likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Bloody hell, Strauss' dismissal to Hilfenhaus in the Oval first-innings was an even bigger no-ball than Flintoff's one to get Katich at Lord's in the second.

2 wickets to un-called no-balls so far this series. Not good. At least it's 1 to each side now.
    Last edited by Richard; 20-08-2009 at 03:35 PM.

I haven't been watching today but TMS are saying that:
    - Bell was perhaps lucky not to be given out caught first ball
    - Strauss was out of a massive no ball that the umpire missed

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Missed the ball by miles, pretty dirty if he was given.

- Strauss was out of a massive no ball that the umpire missed
    Indeed he was. Shocking miss.

Saw Hilfy's scalp in the tea break. Absolutely massive no-ball; horror show. With line judgements like that there's no defence for the ump at all. Just wrong, wrong, wrong.

Front-foot no-balls should be called by the 3rd umpire, surely? Since we moved to front-foot rule how often do batsmen have time to adjust to play a shot on the nb call anyway? It's a no-brainer for me.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Ben Stokes, that most unlikely saint, worked the second of the two miracles he needs for his canonisation." - The Guardian's Andy Bell on the England all-rounder's Headingley ton

^agree, though as Richard said, it is 1-1 on that count now.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Wasn't convinced on that at all myself. Best we can say for sure is that it might've brushed the strap of his glove - it certainly hit the wrist. Certainly no way to conclusively say he should have been given out. I reckon any batsman given out for that has right to be a little aggrieved.

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread Information