• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Comparing the series

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Slow Love™ said:
Yeah, it's always gonna be part of the reason, but some folks seem to treat it as all the reason, when I genuinely do think that sometimes sides are rusty, low on confidence walking in, or just out of form for various reasons, and they perform below their best. It happens, and I think you can tell the difference most of the time between a side not quite performing and a side simply being strangled by a dramatically superior side, that did all it could. How well Australia have been playing could never account for how godawful Harmison was in those first couple of tests, for instance.
Yeah, fair comment. On the other hand, Hoggard has bowled better than he did in the last Ashes, but his stats are worse, because IMO Australia have dealt with him better, particularly Hayden as the series has gone on.

I suppose Flintoff being nowhere near as good as lasyt year has made a difference as well; when we were on the ropes last year Flintoff would score a quick 50, or take a couple of wickets. This year his batting has been disappointing, and his bowling, while still good, hasn't had the same effect, due to not being as good and admittedly a small amount of bad luck here and there.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Barring a miracle, Flintoff was always going to be dissappointing, whatever he did, it's harsh on him to expect him to perform like he did in 2005, every year.