• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

MY View on this

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
ripper868 said:
you may notice that b and n are right next to each other on the keyborad, perhaps chris could edit the post to prevent any further misunderstandings.
:laugh: Thanks for that oh great perceptive one.

James

Cricket Web Owner
chris.hinton said:
Thinking about it it would never work, as there are too many club but Parenet/Feeders club idea could work.

For example smaller clubs ( In my area) like Highcroft could produce players for ****** teams like Erdington Court or even bigger Aston Manor so there is a Process of the cream raising to the top
As others above me have said, don't be an idiot and use racist terms like that. Surely you should know better

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
...James? Typo, surely. As the posts on this page indicate, he was trying to type bigger. :thumbsup:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
And its not something thats up for debate either:

Dictionary.com said:
The term ****** is now probably the most offensive word in English. Its degree of offensiveness has increased markedly in recent years, although it has been used in a derogatory manner since at least the Revolutionary War. Definitions 1a, 1b, and 2 represent meanings that are deeply disparaging and are used when the speaker deliberately wishes to cause great offense. Definition 1a, however, is sometimes used among African-Americans in a neutral or familiar way.
–noun
1. Slang: Extremely Disparaging and Offensive.
a. a black person.
b. a member of any dark-skinned people.
2. Slang: Extremely Disparaging and Offensive. a person of any race or origin regarded as contemptible, inferior, ignorant, etc.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
It's about two things as far as I'm concerned:

i) Whether the person who is being called ****** is offended by it, if they aren't offended by it, then it isn't offensive

ii) The situation, if the situation it is being used in is clearly in a way that isn't meaning to be offensive or malicious, then for me, it isn't racist.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Nah, was obviously a typo, b being next to n and all. I've actually played against one of those teams, and you couldn't really say that about them, the players were predominantly white.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
PhoenixFire said:
ii) The situation, if the situation it is being used in is clearly in a way that isn't meaning to be offensive or malicious, then for me, it isn't racist.
You can just say 'black' if you want to refer to that group of people. Thats the issue, it doesn't matter what you think, its not directed at you. I am not sure if you're black, but even if you were, its still not directed at you particularly. Its very demeaning word that derides an entire group of people, and the word by its very nature is malicious, regardless of context. That word has a very disgusting history associated with it, and it is so completely disrespectful and unfunny that I would never hold a conversation with a guy who just throws it around.

It is mind boggling that someone doesn't understand this.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
PhoenixFire said:
It really is the context, I think it's you who doesn't understand it.
Wrong. The word itself has its own context, and not something you can throw around without the implications that come with the word being thrown around with it as well.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
The word ******, as I'm sure you will know, stems from the word Negro, which is a Spanish word meaning black. A slight alteration to this word is offensive, if used in a certain manner. The way you say it, you make it sound as though it is fact, it is opinion.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
PhoenixFire said:
The word ******, as I'm sure you will know, stems from the word Negro, which is a Spanish word meaning black.
And? What's that got to do with the cultural and historical malice that is associated with the word in its current form?

PhoenixFire said:
A slight alteration to this word is offensive, if used in a certain manner. The way you say it, you make it sound as though it is fact, it is opinion.
Opinion that the word is offensive, regardless of its context if not used in a familiar way between black people? Thats not an opinion, and I would encourage you to check out any dictionary and encyclopedia to confirm that.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
silentstriker said:
Opinion that the word is offensive, regardless of its context if not used in a familiar way between black people? Thats not an opinion, and I would encourage you to check out any dictionary and encyclopedia to confirm that.
I don't need a ****ing encyclopedia to tell me how to approach moral issues thanks, I'm not a vegetable.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
PhoenixFire said:
I don't need a ****ing encyclopedia to tell me how to approach moral issues thanks, I'm not a vegetable.
Obviously you do, if you feel it could be OK to use that word to describe a group of people.