Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: An open letter to Duncan Fletcher

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greg
    You obviously didn't watch today's play. There was nothing in it for the finger spinner. Giles' runs give him the edge.
    I suppose his fielding gives him an edge too... oh wait.

Anyway, top post, its ridiculous that England haven't shown the confidence to play Panesar thus far. I think they'll probably realize their mistake and pick him for the next Test, but the damage will have been done and Panesar will always be looking over his shoulder whenever a half-decent spinner who can hold a bat comes around, and that can't be good for Panesar's bowling.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer techno t's Avatar

Icon14

Quote Originally Posted by shortpitched713
    Panesar will always be looking over his shoulder whenever a half-decent spinner who can hold a bat comes around, and that can't be good for Panesar's bowling.
    and the survey says......................................

top answer!!

For total off topic chat and randomness, try out this place

International 12th Man
    What's really good to know is that spinners require lots of bowling to really excel, and it appears as if England are planning to play Monty at Sydney - toss him the ball and say "go on then, win us the Ashes" on the back of him having had no significant match condition bowling for well over month.

We saw last summer that he took time to really find his groove and rhythm - he wasn't the "best finger spinner in the world at the start of it", he was by the end. (which is why, if it is true that he "bowled himself out of the side in the warm up games" - where he didn't come close to embarrassing himself even if he wasn't as much of a threat as we would have liked - then it is an absolute disgrace)

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Monty didn't play any tests. I hope I'm wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    I think Giles and Panesar will both play in Perth. Fletcher will never drop Giles.

Anderson has to go though.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Quote Originally Posted by techno t
    sooooooooooo much evidence, when will the penny drop

It might just be my memory failing me, but the last time I remember him making a really meaningful contribution with the bat was against NZ in 2004?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    I think Giles and Panesar will both play in Perth. Fletcher will never drop Giles.

Anderson has to go though.
    Aw come on man the ball he knocked over Glenn McGrath with was a Jaffa.

Seriously, for Perth, drop Anderson and pick Mahmood then tell him to try to knock Langer's block off and bowl yorkers at Ponting's off peg. I sense a stump cartwheeling back early in a Ponting knock if he did that. As for Panesar, unless a raging turner, I don't know if they should play in the same side. Panesar is an attacking bowler and if he goes for runs early, it would force Gilo to do the 'aim at leg-stump' thing and he's a far less effective wicket-taker when he does that. I say, either give him free reign to bowl like he did in Brisbane or strengthen the batting, drop Freddie and Jones down a spot each and pick Panesar. Do the job with four attacking bowlers. I have said it for a while and I maintain that Freddie should not be batting top-6, opening the bowling and captaining. He batted REALLY well in the Ashes but now we're seeing regression towards the mean.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

International 12th Man
    Fletcher has excelled himself in his latest comments:

Fletcher believed that Hoggard's success justified the selection of James Anderson ahead of the extra spinner. "We thought a skiddy bowler would probably play quite a big role on this wicket," he said. "It happened here when we played South Australia in the warm-up game, James Anderson bowled very well, as did Hoggard. Not every bowler is going to go and get the wickets every time. It was Hoggard's turn this time, but if we played it again, it would probably be Jimmy's turn."
    It's no wonder he doesn't see any difference between the bowling of Panesar and Giles. He's just managed to run down one of the great English pace bowling performances of recent times (and implicitly all the years of hard work and experience that Hoggard has had to put in to be capable of a performance like that) and put it down effectively to "luck on the day". Another day, with a fair wind, it would have been Anderson.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Scmods's Avatar
    SCMODS: 1
    Duncan Fletcher: 0.

Judging by the amount of "Sack Fletcher" threads appearing I'd say that I was right before any of you. Thankyou and goodnight.
    Ashes to Ashes
    Dust to Dust
    If Pidge doesn't get you
    Warney must

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scmods

Judging by the amount of "Sack Fletcher" threads appearing I'd say that I was right before any of you. Thankyou and goodnight.
    1 has appeared, and that's by a forum tool, plus the Fletcher - Time to go poll was up before this thread. Your arrogance is unjustified.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scmods

I've been saying he should go since he picked Shaun Udal, actually.

Udal > Giles tbh
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Breakout Champion!
    Not a chance.

International Debutant
    Dustin is cool

Quote Originally Posted by steds
    Not a chance.
    Who is Udal btw?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information