• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Ashes Article Thread

pasag

RTDAS
I was on the floor when I read this one by Peter Roebuck today. The article was about right and left hand batsmen etc.

EVERYONE has been batting the wrong way around. Right-handers ought to take guard as southpaws and vice-versa. The reason is simple. Cricket is a top-handed game. Moreover, both hands have roles to play. Most racquet games are played one-handed.....

.... Consider the teams playing in this Ashes series. Marcus Trescothick opens chocolate bars with his right hand. Matthew Hayden tosses salad with the same palm. In the ring, Justin Langer leads with his left but dispatches with his right.
Hahahaha.

Anyways, with the millions of words being dedicated to the 5 matches, post the good, bad and ugly here. Puns as well, as SL once mentioned, the puns here are really out of control.

pasag

RTDAS
The Age dedicated the sports front cover today to blasting the England team for going to see U2 instead of using the time in the nets. The headline - "Mysterious Ways"

eek

Slow Love™

International Captain
Peter Roebuck said:
Marcus Trescothick opens chocolate bars with his right hand. Matthew Hayden tosses salad with the same palm.
LOL, Roebuck's columns always have that homo-****** streak to them. Although the salad tossing doesn't really work when you're talking about hands, really. Maybe it's just us. :laugh:

There's a piece in The Guardian where Shaun Tait taunts the English batsman with allegations they can't handle the short ball at high pace. A brief analysis follows of how individual England players fared in the PM's XI game.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Botham's had an attack at Australia's Dad's Army.

He's also called for Flintoff and co. to be more vocal saying, "If they allow the Aussies any psychological advantage, they might as well come home. I am fed up hearing things like 'if we are right' and 'if we have a little bit of luck'. That's bull****. Lads, the Aussies are more than a year older than the team you beat last time. Start believing in yourselves."

Beefy claims Aussies too old

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Roebuck wrote the most appalling drivel the other day whining about England's insistance on playing 14 players against NSW and what he reckons is their attitude to the CT. Guess he still hasn't got over his treatment here all those years ago

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
wpdavid said:
Roebuck wrote the most appalling drivel the other day whining about ...
Indeed.

Looking forward to more Gideon Haigh in the Guardian, assuming he's still scribing for them, very good writer and an Aussie who supports England :cool: .

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Pedro Delgado said:
Indeed.

Looking forward to more Gideon Haigh in the Guardian, assuming he's still scribing for them, very good writer and an Aussie who supports England :cool: .
I like him a lot too, but he's an Anglo-Aussie, isn't he? Blighty-born, Oz-reared.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Interesting little article from The Guardian on how the the 8 members of our touring party who've played Grade in Oz got on:

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/ashes2006-07/story/0,,1953018,00.html

Generally favourable, Collingwood seemingly particularly so winning the Ryder medal whilst playing for Richmond in 00/01, but the club administrator of Glenelg Seahorses where The Python spent 05/06 is less than fulsome in his praise,

"I think it's fair to say he didn't set the world on fire. I actually thought he was a very average bowler...We were staggered when he got a Test call."

garypratt

Cricket Spectator
I liked Warne's comments on England picking Jones behind the stumps, saying that Jones 'wouldn't want to drop Pontingon 12'. I seem to remember Warne dropping the Ashes in the last test of the last series when he shelled a fairly straightforward chance from Pietersen. Click the link below my mail for an amusing take on England being a one man team (as if!).