• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 1st Test at The Gabba

tooextracool

International Coach
i never understand the logic of playing the sweep shot with the England batsmen. I mean they're scoring at a decent rate against him, yet they pull out the sweep for absolutely no reason. unless you're an Andy Flower or Matt Hayden theres no point in playing it.

tooextracool

International Coach
Nnanden said:
Hardly. Pretty much all of them were against the tail, and England were bowling too short to make it count. Australia have had a dropped catch, plenty short of fielders, and an LBW shout. Perhaps England have been more unlucky, but Australia has had a share as well.
Firstly if you're referring to Ian Bell's edges that have dropped short of the slips, its actually been quality batting because hes played with very soft hands and an angled bat in order to make sure that the ball didnt carry. Its one of the reasons why ive suggested that hes batted like Dravid today, because he hasnt gone at the ball unlike Kevin Pietersen and Andrew Flintoff.
As far as dropped catches are concerned, surely its your own fault if the team drops catches. Same way when you take wickets of no balls.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
grecian said:
Your joking surely. I mean Freddie bowling alone had about 30 play and misses, and one atrocious decision aginst england in batting,,,,,,
Bull****. It didn't look out in slow motion, but in real time he looked dead in the water. You don't go leaving balls and expect to survive when it hits you near your stumps I'm afraid.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
tooextracool said:
Firstly if you're referring to Ian Bell's edges that have dropped short of the slips, its actually been quality batting because hes played with very soft hands and an angled bat in order to make sure that the ball didnt carry. Its one of the reasons why ive suggested that hes batted like Dravid today, because he hasnt gone at the ball unlike Kevin Pietersen and Andrew Flintoff.
As far as dropped catches are concerned, surely its your own fault if the team drops catches. Same way when you take wickets of no balls.
Likewise with Langer and friends` angling their bats then.

tooextracool

International Coach
SirBloody Idiot said:
Bull****. It didn't look out in slow motion, but in real time he looked dead in the water. You don't go leaving balls and expect to survive when it hits you near your stumps I'm afraid.
You'd have to be out of your mind if you think a straight ball pitching and hitting outside the line of the off stump is 'dead in the water'. As such any ball that pitches and hits outside the off stump generally has enough doubt in it, and only a fool or David Lloyd would claim that its ever plumb.

tooextracool

International Coach
Nnanden said:
Likewise with Langer and friends` angling their bats then.
Yes Langer angling his bat to hit the ball above the slips and at catchable heights besides the gullies and point fielders.
And if Hayden has ever played a defensive shot with soft hands in his entire career then i'll pull a richard and eat my computer.

Last edited:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
tooextracool said:
Yes Langer angling his bat to hit the ball above the slips and at catchable heights besides the gullies and point fielders.
Not going to argue with you about anything, unless it`s about Bracken. :p

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
SirBloody Idiot said:
It was six inches outsideoffstump., whicfh mignt create mild doubt amongst us idjts

Last edited:

R_D

International Debutant
tooextracool said:
You'd have to be out of your mind if you think a straight ball pitching and hitting outside the line of the off stump is 'dead in the water'. As such any ball that pitches and hits outside the off stump generally has enough doubt in it, and only a fool or David Lloyd would claim that its ever plumb.
In real time it looked out but on replay i would've thought otherwise. KP might have been tad unlucky but his own fault for not playing a shot really can't blame the umpire for that one.

tooextracool

International Coach
Bells already looking like a different player against Warne now that hes started getting onto the front foot. Hes really starting to look more and more like the class player ive thought he would be over the last year or so.

tooextracool

International Coach
R_D said:
In real time it looked out but on replay i would've thought otherwise. KP might have been tad unlucky but his own fault for not playing a shot really can't blame the umpire for that one.
Yea, i think the only reason half of the people on here think it 'looked out' was because he didnt offer a shot, and in general when players dont offer a shot against a pace bowler people always jump to the conclusion that its out. It was a poor shot, i dont deny it, but it doesnt change the fact that it was a poor decision.

R_D

International Debutant
tooextracool said:
Bells already looking like a different player against Warne now that hes started getting onto the front foot. Hes really starting to look more and more like the class player ive thought he would be over the last year or so.
Bells looking pretty good so far.
When Warne came on i thought there goes Bell but he's improved heaps sicne last Ashes.. he's playing Warne with intent to score runs rather than just survive. Thats problay the best way to play him. If you look to just survive he'll get you sonner or later.