• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 1st Test at The Gabba

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not that I agree with the policy (trumpets and beachballs being banned is a joke - surely the objective is to have the crowd enjoy themselves) but the guy cant say he wasnt warned

Told not to take it into the ground

Evicted for playing it

Let back in on proviso he didnt play it again

Played it again and thrown out

Policy is ridiculous but security guards are only there to enforce the rules

Anyway, declare ffs

About the only thing that can happen here is for Lee and McGrath to get hit

Craig

World Traveller
Burgey said:
True, but they are still massively under done. The bowling has been pretty average, but you have to give credit to the fact that, aprat form the bal that got Langer, nearly every 4 ball has been absolutely smashed.
Well will we agree that Harmison should of been made to play in the last warm up game, side strain or not like Mark Taylor was mentioning at lunch?

Slow Love™

International Captain
Craig said:
Well will we agree that Harmison should of been made to play in the last warm up game, side strain or not like Mark Taylor was mentioning at lunch?
If they intended him to play through the series (as I imagine they did), I don't see why you'd risk him aggravating an injury just before the Ashes opener.

I don't think Harmison's problems are so much about fitness as they are psychological, anyway, really.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Reasonable declaration. I actually thought Ponting might drag it out for another 20 minutes, to give the Australian bowlers around an hour before stumps, and a relatively new ball tomorrow. As it is they'll get nearly around 80 minutes after the changeover, which means that Warne and Clark should get a decent bowl as well as the openers.

Another top innings from Lee, who is looking more and more solid with the bat these days. He'll make a test century one day, I'd put money on it. Good hitting by Clark too. Australia's tail is pretty damn good with those two, Warne and a passable McGrath these days. You'd feel fairly comfortable as a number 6 or 7 knowing those would be the bowlers you might end up batting with.

Anyway, should be an interesting little session. England basically have nothing to gain now, and would need to bat spectacularly well for about two days and then bowl brilliantly to get a positive result from the match. Australia should definitely win the test from here on a fairly sporting wicket that offers plenty to Warne. Not a great pitch for Lee though, so I'd imagine McGrath and Clark will be the most dangerous seamers.

chalky

International Debutant
I know its stating the obvious but England really need to try and get something out of the game batting wise even if they can't avoid defeat at least try and show a bit of application and keep Australia in the field for as long as possible especially with the baxk to back tests and Australias aging attack.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
irfan said:
Hoggard has been clearly Englands second best bowler rather than Anderson
I disagree. All of Anderson, Hoggard and Giles bowled good spells from time to time, but Anderson was the most consistent. Bowled very well this morning in two pre-lunch spells and against other batsmen may have gotten a few wickets. Hoggard bowled one excellent spell in the afternoon, but was generally less threatening I think.

Giles was very good yesterday but quite ordinary today. Still doesn't put enough work on the ball to make batsmen nervous hitting him straight, and relies mostly on keeping it fairly tight.

I think we can all agree that Flintoff was the best and Harmison was horrible. I don't think England's performance was entirely responsible for the 600+ score though. They bowled poorly at times certainly, but the fielding and a fair chunk of the bowling was good, especially on day two. It was just some fantastic batting.

Craig

World Traveller
Slow Love™ said:
If they intended him to play through the series (as I imagine they did), I don't see why you'd risk him aggravating an injury just before the Ashes opener.

I don't think Harmison's problems are so much about fitness as they are psychological, anyway, really.
Well Taylor's opinion there was times when he needed to just bowl and get some overs in injury or not. But I know you don't think highly of him as a commentator.

------------

If you were one of the English openers, how would you go about it? I guess I would pretend there is no total on the board from Australia and just bat normally and not worry about the total. But I guess that is easier said then done.

Craig

World Traveller
FaaipDeOiad said:
I disagree. All of Anderson, Hoggard and Giles bowled good spells from time to time, but Anderson was the most consistent. Bowled very well this morning in two pre-lunch spells and against other batsmen may have gotten a few wickets. Hoggard bowled one excellent spell in the afternoon, but was generally less threatening I think.

Giles was very good yesterday but quite ordinary today. Still doesn't put enough work on the ball to make batsmen nervous hitting him straight, and relies mostly on keeping it fairly tight.

I think we can all agree that Flintoff was the best and Harmison was horrible. I don't think England's performance was entirely responsible for the 600+ score though. They bowled poorly at times certainly, but the fielding and a fair chunk of the bowling was good, especially on day two. It was just some fantastic batting.
I would have picked Panesar instead.

Panesar IMO would more likely to take wickets whereas I think Giles is more of a containing bowler and support the rest of the guys in the attack.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Craig said:
If you were one of the English openers, how would you go about it? I guess I would pretend there is no total on the board from Australia and just bat normally and not worry about the total. But I guess that is easier said then done.
I'd sledge the crap out of McGrath and Lee, and hit them for six after six. But that's just my way, I realise it's different for everybody.

Craig

World Traveller
Hahaha.

Slater is now blabering on about Strauss could of played for Australia since he lived in Melbourne for 18 months when they moved there from South Africa.

Lol!

Slow Love™

International Captain
Impressive umpiring, IMO.

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I thought Bucknor had really improved in recent times, and I really think he has. Cook looked almost gone, but it was high.

Craig

World Traveller
Cook batting well here.

What a boost for England if they can finish at stumps with no wickets lost.

I've probably cursed them now.

chalky

International Debutant
Cook gets away with a tight LBW shout from Lee - good decision though just a little high

Craig

World Traveller
Craig said:
Cook batting well here.

What a boost for England if they can finish at stumps with no wickets lost.

I've probably cursed them now.
I did it.

But Hussey and Lee ran into each other and Lee not looking good.

Strauss gone for 12.