• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 1st Test at The Gabba

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
social said:
You're obviously talking about SA v India

OooooooH! The ball is bouncing above ankle height - let's all give up:laugh:

Heh, unfortunately, its more like:

"The ball is bouncing above ankle height - I thought this was supposed to be a cricket match!"

irfan

State Captain
I've noticed that Ponting's avg is now greater than his Strike rate. Is there any other batsman that has played a reasonable number of test matches (ie. Not Michael Hussey) that equalls this feat ?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
irfan said:
I've noticed that Ponting's avg is now greater than his Strike rate. Is there any other batsman that has played a reasonable number of test matches (ie. Not Michael Hussey) that equalls this feat ?
Dravid and Kallis both (S/R of around 42-43 and averages of 58 and 55 respectively).

The difference is, Ponting scores faster than either of them and still manages the feat.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
irfan said:
??????? pretty much most of the batsmen who average over 50 equal this feat

pasag

RTDAS
Slow session. England really needed to take quick wickets to get back into this match. Can't help but think this would be pretty exciting if Simon Jones was around.

Ponting will get the 200 after lunch to a massive roar.

In other news, Lara Bingle is hottt.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
So the big question at lunch, is Flintoff also head and shoulders better than the Australian attack in their current form? The way he was getting them to shoot off the pitch is almost as ominous for England as Pietersen turning them late yesterday, you know McGrath and Clark will put them in the right place and Lee has a good record at the Gabba as well.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Flintoff...wish he was an Aussie. I don't think there are many left handers who wouldn't have gotten out to that delivery. Was a corker.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Ponting looks absolutely rock solid out there. If he reaches 208 he'll pass 9,000 test runs, and I think he might keep batting into the evening session if he's got support at the other end.

England actually bowled pretty well that session, I thought. Easily their best session with the ball overall, even though it only gave one wicket. Flintoff was excellent, Anderson was really quite good in both spells, Hoggard was average but at least got it to swing and bowled a few good deliveries, even if he didn't make the batsmen play enough. Harmison was absolutely disgraceful, but that's about par for the course now.

Hussey and Ponting played really well to see off the new ball, and I think Hussey probably deserved a century. Nevertheless, I don't think Australia will be too unhappy to see the ball jumping around like that. It played almost like the WACA that session, lightning quick and plenty of bounce, and those cracks are already an inch wide on the second morning.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Flintoff at least has shown that there is live in the pitch if you really bend your back and smack the ball in hard - so there's some hope for a result as that is what I expect Lee McGrath and Clark to do.

Harmison sounds like he's still having a horror. At it stands now he shouldn't play in Adelaide, Paneser should come in and they should go with a three quick, two spin attack. I'm probably biased anyway as I don't really see the utility in having a four man pace attack unless you're planning to be in the field for two days at a time. If your top three seamers aren't good enough, adding your fourth best is not really likely to improve the situation I'd have thought. I think Anderson has shown enough, and Hoggard has been professional in his effort. Flintoff and Hoggard to take the new ball, unless Flintoff's had to bat extensively already in the match, and Anderson first change, then the spinners for me. Harmison to spend the next few weeks bowling his backside off in the nets, working out what to do with his non-bowling arm in delivery, and how to stand up at the crease, with an eye to Perth or Melbourne.

NZTailender

Josh said:
Harmison should not play again on this tour.

Disagree. He's certainly looked woeful in this test but I feel if he gets a lot of overs in today and in the second innings, there will be a big difference in his bowling for the second test, where I think he'll bowl well. And I honestly can't see Mahmood bowling better than Harmison on this tour.

Been impressed by Anderson though, despite his high E/R.

England lacking that certain edge, though. Pretty obvious to say but apart from Flintoff it doesn't feel as they've got anything going on with the ball like last year when it seemed as though a wicket wasn't far off from falling.

NZTailender

On that note, see you all at the end of the day.

Hoping Collingwood gets a couple of overs though. Should've bowled in front of Bell and pietersen yesterday, though KP got some top turn.

Should probably pace myself with the drinks too, tbh.

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
Great Birtannia said:
So the big question at lunch, is Flintoff also head and shoulders better than the Australian attack in their current form? The way he was getting them to shoot off the pitch is almost as ominous for England as Pietersen turning them late yesterday, you know McGrath and Clark will put them in the right place and Lee has a good record at the Gabba as well.
Forget about McGrath, Lee, Clark. They'll bowl well but England will bat well against the seamers on that deck. They aren't the worst batting lineup around and they're all in reasonable nick.

The problem for England is Warney. He'll take 10 for the match on that deck and I'm prepared to put my house and wife on it.

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
NZTailender said:
Disagree. He's certainly looked woeful in this test but I feel if he gets a lot of overs in today and in the second innings, there will be a big difference in his bowling for the second test, where I think he'll bowl well. And I honestly can't see Mahmood bowling better than Harmison on this tour.

Been impressed by Anderson though, despite his high E/R.

England lacking that certain edge, though. Pretty obvious to say but apart from Flintoff it doesn't feel as they've got anything going on with the ball like last year when it seemed as though a wicket wasn't far off from falling.
As I said a year ago, that England attack will never be anywhere near as threatening in Australia as they were last year (with or without Jones).

Hoggard, for example, in England - World Class swing bowler. In Australia - where the kookaburra doesn't swing - cannon fodder.

I always said that the last ashes series in England was all about the bowlers and in Australia it will be all about the batsmen.......haven't seen anything yet that makes me think otherwise.

Having said that though - I think England will bat well too for most of this series (against the seamers) - all depends once again on how they go against Warney though.

Slow Love™

International Captain
howardj said:
Pretty disappointed with the whole day, to be frank.

Firstly, there wasn't much of a contest between bat and ball today. Harmison showed no ticker, as usual; Anderson got treated like a club bowler; and Hoggard never really looked like breaking through. On the flipside, Giles I thought bowled fairly well and Flintoff was very good.

Secondly, I expected singing and chanting from the crowd. It was extremely tame. The whole day just seemed to lack atmosphere - or it certainly didn't have the atmosphere I expected from a full house.

Finally, and most disappointingly, I can't see this series, as least as far as a contest is concerned, reaching any great heights. That's because, on the evidence before me, I certainly can not see how England can take 20 Australian wickets at anything like reasonable value.

The one beacon from today was Ponting. Say what you want about the man or his captaincy, but geez the bloke can bat. Volcano Ponting has been bubbling away since September 12 last year. The lava is just going to spew out over the next six weeks. He's lean and hungry.
My thoughts are essentially the same (crowd observations excepted 'cause I wasn't there). Yesterday affirmed most of my worse fears - that the England bowlers are out of form and may really struggle to control Australia's bats this time around. How well Flintoff bowled was really a surprise, although England really needed someone to knock over 4 or 5 in good time to compete here, and there seems to be something in the wicket for the pacers.

Ponting was absolutely magnificent, outside of the strokemaking it was just an amazing display of concentration. Is his innings still chanceless? I haven't caught much of the first session today. His pulling was really amazing, don't know many players that have ever looked better on that shot than he does. He's showed clear intent to grind the England bowlers under his heel, but has also been so disciplined. Great display.

The Harmison issue is a really tricky one. Yes, he has been very poor, although I think it's a matter of particular spells being abysmal rather than one whole block of abysmal like it's being suggested by some. I know that people (particularly the English) are probably very frustrated by his apparent lack of heart, but I still think he's the bowler (apart from Flintoff) most likely to run through the Aussie lineup in more than one test, and that's IMO why he's considered a critical player - 'cause I think if that doesn't happen, there'll likely be not much of a contest this series, unless Anderson can really lift. I don't expect big things from Hoggard this series, really. Things may get very hairy for Harmison's selection though if England wish to play Panesar with Giles at Adelaide.

Of course, this test is far from over. England cannot win, but a draw is still very much on the cards, depending on how their bats fare. Walking away with a draw having lost the toss I'm sure would be seen as a fairly good result, all things considered.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
That nut to Hussey was insane. Ponting very solid, and both batsmen are playing Giles very well. Giles is bowling with decent flight, but is bowling a bit quicker today and with less turn.