• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aussie bowling attack for Ashes

Alysum

U19 Debutant
Looks like Clark won't play the test when you see how terrible he was yesterday.

For the 3rd paceman my order of choice would be:

Bracken > Gillespie > Clark > Johnson > Tait

Matt79

Global Moderator
I like Bracken, but honestly, you just know what we'll get from him. One good spell where he might end up with a 3-fer, then lots of averageness. I think Clark has already delivered more than Bracken has, and sure it might have been partially the conditions, but I think that gives him more entitlement than Bracken.

With Johnson, he's yet to produce anything obviously, but the thing is we don't know what we'll get from him, but lots of people seem to have the sense that it could be really good.

tooextracool

International Coach
I certainly think that the odds of England retaining the Ashes will go up considerably if Bracken manages to make the side.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Alysum said:
Looks like Clark won't play the test when you see how terrible he was yesterday.

For the 3rd paceman my order of choice would be:

Bracken > Gillespie > Clark > Johnson > Tait
come on it was his first real bowl in an international game since early April, Gayle just took advantage of a rusty bloke. Give him some time, if by the start of the ashes he hasn't found the form that got him such rewards in SA then he would go down the pecking order.

On Bracken, based on how the selectors have been handling lately i'd say he is behind even Tait for a test spot in the ashes.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
I certainly think that the odds of England retaining the Ashes will go up considerably if Bracken manages to make the side.
True True, not convinced about him as a test bowler anymore.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
Actually, I'd say he's as likely to do well in Brisbane as he is to do poorly. If conditions favour swing as they sometimes do in Brisbane he'll be a handful, and he's really only likely to play 2 or 3 tests, even if he is selected.

Having said that, I doubt they'll pick Bracken. If they abandon Clark because of his woeful ODI bowling, they'll go to Gillespie or perhaps Johnson, if they pick a third seamer.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Bracken`s FC average at the Gabba is something ridiculously good. It`s pretty clear the selectors aren`t really interested in him as a Test bowler anymore, which is pretty poor IMO.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Not seen much but from what I have he looks the dogs ******** with a new ball in his hand in the right conditions. Trouble is he wouldn't get the new ball, and he looks less dangerous with the old one. Test's are so different too of course, he wouldn't get many late slogger wickets.

In the ODI arena though he's got it.

howardj

International Coach
What the hell are Australia thinking in taking Glenn McGrath to the Champion's Trophy? He is woefully underdone, and needs some overs under his belt. He should be back here playing FC cricket. It seems to me that the selectors and the team hierarchy are afraid to stand up to him and do what is best for the Australian team.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Well i don't think he is that underdone based on how he bowled in the DLF Cup at all. I personally think competitive international cricket is the best way for McGrath to get ready for the Ashes instead of domestic cricket.

Last edited:

_TiGeR-ToWn_

U19 Debutant
aussie said:
Well i don't think he is that underdone based on how he bowled in the champions trophy at all. I personally think competitive international cricket is the best way for McGrath to get ready for the Ashes instead of domestic cricket.
When was taht Champions Trophy?

Personally i would like to see him stay and play first class cricket and grade cricket. Longer games, get his match fitness up and is ability to bowl in the longer forms of the game which will be cruicial for the first test.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
What the hell are Australia thinking in taking Glenn McGrath to the Champion's Trophy? He is woefully underdone, and needs some overs under his belt. He should be back here playing FC cricket. It seems to me that the selectors and the team hierarchy are afraid to stand up to him and do what is best for the Australian team.
I wouldn't say he was "woefully underdone". He bowled pretty damn well in the DLF Cup for a guy who hadn't played for several months, and it's still a fair while until the Ashes. Some competitive international cricket certainly can't hurt as far as preperation goes, and I imagine he'll do some longer bowling stints in grade matches or for NSW before the first test.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The selectors spoke at length with McGrath as to his preferred preparation - one-dayers in India or 1st class cricket here. His own preference was to play in the one-dayers on the basis that whenever he has toured India in the past, he's had to work hard in difficult fast bowling conditions and has come back to Australia and bowled well. I don't know if the stats back that up but that was his own view.

I guess as a senior player he gets a fair bit of input into his own preparation, rather than just being told what to do like a Jaques or a Johnson might.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think that going to the Champions Trophy would be better practice for Glenn McGrath than spending some time in FC cricket back in Australia. Sure he won't get to bowl for as long but he'll have to contend with some world class batsman at the other end facing his bowling. I think it'll be good for him.

Laurrz

International Debutant
hmmm yea i really don't ahve any idea.... whether to play two spinners and 3 fast bowlers (including watson) or just go with the traditional 3 seamers and Warne.. either way i am rather happy i am not decideing... but i think any option is a good one... so hopefully the right one is picked :sleep:

my decision changes ALL THE TIME but today i am leaning towards 3 seamers and Warne as i am liking Stuart Clark

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
_TiGeR-ToWn_ said:
When was taht Champions Trophy?

Personally i would like to see him stay and play first class cricket and grade cricket. Longer games, get his match fitness up and is ability to bowl in the longer forms of the game which will be cruicial for the first test.
my mistake i meant the DLF Cup..

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd like to see Gillespie start with Clark carrying the drinks. I see Bracken as a major asset in OD cricket but not a test bowler...even at The 'Gabba.

Would still like to see Watson at 6 because that is where he will eventually end up spending a lot of his test career, and playing MacGill and Warne is a must in Sydney at least.