• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

No TV coverage in Australia and maybe NZ

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ICC World T20: TV blackout for Aussie cricket fans as networks shun rights

Cricket fans in Australia face a blackout for next month's World Twenty20 because all local TV networks have passed on the opportunity to buy the broadcast rights for the tournament.

The tournament begins in India on March 16 and runs until April 6. The Australian Twenty20 squad is about to depart for South Africa for a three-match preparatory series there, before travelling to India for a tournament they have yet to win in five attempts.

The presence of the tournament on Australia's anti-siphoning list, which prioritises free-to-air coverage of major events, has been of no consequence, because those rules don't compel commercial broadcasters to buy the rights.

Rather than Australian networks not being interested in cricket, which attracted bumper ratings this summer for both international matches and the Big Bash League, it is believed the main stumbling block is the price being sought by the host broadcaster, India TV giant Star Sports.

It is believed New Zealand, where Australia is currently touring, is also facing a blackout due to an impasse in negotiations.
ICC World T20: TV blackout for Aussie cricket fans as networks shun rights
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

BCCI/Star Sports aren't exactly running this too well so far.....

Spikey

i dont wanna deal with TV's telling me to turn off my ad-blocker though

dermo

International Vice-Captain
i'd say fox will come through with some offer at some point but no one will watch it regardless, its in footy season and in the middle of the night

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
will watch the toss so i know who wins but none of the actual games
This isn't the Aus in NZ thread.

If it ends up not being shown at all on TV then I think the Aus media should just do a complete blackout of the event. Doubt the team is going to last that long in the tournament anyway.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
i'd say fox will come through with some offer at some point but no one will watch it regardless, its in footy season and in the middle of the night
I'm pretty sure in the UK last year no free to air channel got highlights for the world cup and then ITV came in at the last minute with about a week to go. I assume similar would happen here.

Pretty ridiculous if it doesn't. I wonder if it would signal the beginning of the end for TV deals.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
All this makes me so proud of how things are back home, you can get a HD recordable set top box with all the best paid channels for less than 8 USD per month, with an initial setup cost of around 40 USD.

brockley

International Captain
Just rang Foxtel for the nth time in the last 2 weeks.
They confirmed to me no coverage of world cup,only Aussie/Saffie series.
They strung me on the last 2 weeks,so Pi**ed.:@
Anyway,anyone know some good online coverage in English,thinking of Willow?

Burgey

It's a bit unfortunate there's no coverage, but it's a Mickey Mouse format and anyway, how good's footy?!

Burgey

Number one in summer, for sure. But AFL and NRL footy codes have very big and tribal fan bases. The NRL season kicks off this week and AFL a week later (iirc) so a lot of sport fans here will be massively preoccupies with that rather than cricket. Especxially early season, as everyone still has the one thing which kills us all in the end - hope.

Personally would watch the cricket if it was on, but less so a T20 tourney than a test series or ODI WC, for example.

Flem274*

123/5
yeah cricket in the southern hemisphere winter that's on in the middle of the night is going to struggle for ratings unless it's a hyped test series or an odi world cup.